suggestions for droopy/brown peace lily

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I received a peace lily several years ago. For the first year I had her, she was doing quite well (dark green leaves, blooms in the summer, etc.). Last summer, she became somewhat droopy and in an effort to correct the problem, I re-potted her. Now I'm not so sure that was a good idea. Her leaves continue to droop (though she perks up a bit after watering), and she has many brown spots (see attached pictures). Most of the brownness is concentrated around the tips of her leaves, but she also has some brown spots in the middle of leaves. I've trimmed away the brown tips several times, but more always appear. She continues to produce new leaves, which I guess is a good sign, but in general, she looks a lot less healthy than in her pre-repotting days. I've experimented with the amount of light and water she receives, but it's been to no avail. Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

IMG_0548.jpg
IMG_0549.jpg
IMG_0552.jpg

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
poor quality water is the problem. Peace lily is sensitive to the chemicals in tap water. Use filtered water or rain water. Water very deeply and don't let it dry out between waterings. You will often read that peace lily handles being dry just fine, but it's just not so, it is always my first plant to wilt easily when it dries out even little. I have to water mine more frequently than any of my other plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
poor quality water is the problem. Peace lily is sensitive to the chemicals in tap water. Use filtered water or rain water. Water very deeply and don't let it dry out between waterings. You will often read that peace lily handles being dry just fine, but it's just not so, it is always my first plant to wilt easily when it dries out even little. I have to water mine more frequently than any of my other plants.
Thanks very much. I'll start giving filtered water a try -- fingers crossed that it does the trick!

G.W

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I received a peace lily several years ago. For the first year I had her, she was doing quite well (dark green leaves, blooms in the summer, etc.). Last summer, she became somewhat droopy and in an effort to correct the problem, I re-potted her. Now I'm not so sure that was a good idea. Her leaves continue to droop (though she perks up a bit after watering), and she has many brown spots (see attached pictures). Most of the brownness is concentrated around the tips of her leaves, but she also has some brown spots in the middle of leaves. I've trimmed away the brown tips several times, but more always appear. She continues to produce new leaves, which I guess is a good sign, but in general, she looks a lot less healthy than in her pre-repotting days. I've experimented with the amount of light and water she receives, but it's been to no avail. Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

View attachment 14329View attachment 14330View attachment 14331
Hey Jenna, my first question would be, Is your container able to properly drain? These are water loving plants but they don't need to sit in water long. Beautiful container but sometimes you can't see if water sits in the base. Your soil does need to completely dry out first. Cut off the damaged leaves, fertilize with Miracle Grow and try to maintain consistency with watering. Allow to dry, then water, and follow that routine. Plants like routine.....and as you see what your plant likes then it becomes routine. And repotting was a great idea......you can see what is going on in the base of plant. I had to repot a Christmas Cactus plant to see that I was over watering. So now I am more careful and I have been growing plants since I was a teenager. Sometimes you just need to take the plant out. This is a very sturdy plant and with the right conditions it will be great. Hope you get lots of growth! GW

Ask a Question