Spinosad for Fire Ants

Reaction score
Country
United States
It was recommended to me to use Spinosad in a soil drench to get rid of fire ants in my potted fruit trees. What I'm not sure about is whether to use straight Spinosad or a product that contains Spinosad. I'd like to keep the fruit safe to eat when the time comes.

Thank you.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
What you got was a great recommendation.

"Spinosad is a natural insecticide that is safe for both humans and pets. It’s also quite safe for good insects such as adult butterflies and bees. Even when consumed with food, spinosad breaks down easily and comes out of the body naturally within a day or two without having any harmful effects."

Follow the label directions but generally for a drench, I like 3-5 tablespoons of concentrate per gallon of water.... a little stronger than @Chuck recommended. Pour it all over the ants. It works and is perfectly safe.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks very much for the suggestion. It sounds like you're referring to a straight Spinosad concentrate rather than a product that contains Spinosad, such as Captain Jack's, etc.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What you got was a great recommendation.

"Spinosad is a natural insecticide that is safe for both humans and pets. It’s also quite safe for good insects such as adult butterflies and bees. Even when consumed with food, spinosad breaks down easily and comes out of the body naturally within a day or two without having any harmful effects."

Follow the label directions but generally for a drench, I like 3-5 tablespoons of concentrate per gallon of water.... a little stronger than @Chuck recommended. Pour it all over the ants. It works and is perfectly safe.

Thanks very much for the suggestion. It sounds like you're referring to a straight Spinosad concentrate rather than a product that contains Spinosad, such as Captain Jack's, etc.

Ask a Question