Some little creatures in the soil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Finland
Few of my indoor plants have these little bugs in their soil, any idea what they could be? Thrips in some life stages? Something else? Good or bad?

Lenght of it is max 1 millimeter, some are even smaller.

Sorry, could not get sharper photo as that camera mode won't let focus on things just the distance matters, that was the best I could get.
And it was hard to get it not to move! Hydrogen peroxide helped a bit, but it did not die to that..

IMG-20240218-WA0020.jpg
IMG-20240218-WA0021.jpg
IMG-20240218-WA0022.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's not a bad photo at all for something that small, sorry I don't know what they are, but it is not really my forte. If I had them though I wouldn't worry. Their colour suggests the soil is their natural habitat, and that is where you find them. They don't look like predators, capable of fast movement, my guess is that they are breaking down vegetable material in the soil for energy, no harm in that. No doubt someone will have a suggestion of a name and we will see if I am right.
Another thought, it must still be pretty cold up there, when did they arrive? Could they have been introduced with something like compost?

Sorry, this has taken a while to post, dinner happened whilst writing it, there may already be more definitive answers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although I am not absolutely certain, I think these little creatures might well be springtails. If so, it is quite usual to find them in indoor plants especially if they are a bit over-watered !! If so, as Oliver mentioned, they may well be chewing up any debris in the compost for you. Springtails are usually about 1mm long or smaller, they can be white, black or brown, and have two prominent antennae.
I doubt that these will harm your plants, but do check the watering, especially during the cold months.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
but do check the watering, especially during the cold months.
I'd second that, people think it is warm indoors and there will still be evaporation, which is true, but most water is lost through the plant and the lack of light, rather than temperature, in winter months will make the plant shut down considerably. Much less water used.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Finland
Thank you @Oliver Buckle and @Tetters 😊

Ooh, so predators are usually slower? And that colour/soil thing, wow, that's a good to know!

My hoya bella, one of those that has them, is starting to bloom🌸, so glad to know they are not, dangerous to it.

Soil of the plant I just recently bought has them and two to three another ones that I have had a longer time. And I noticed them just lastweek due having few fungus gnats flying around, so I used a potato to get rid of them .... and those little ones were having a dance party on a cut potato bottom.

Although I try to use moisture meter now if I am not sure, I can admit 🙋‍♀️ sometimes overwatering 😬 😅
I do have additional lights to them in these dark winter months in here.

I just wonder does it have anything to do with how I have my pots.. I have a nursery pot in a hanging one and that has a gravel on bottom raising the nursery pot up and excess water goes to there. I have tried to make sure it doesn't touch the bottom of the nursery pot.
It just is a pain in the 🍑 to try to tip that hanging pot over (dye to its shape) to get the excess water out.
20240222_104604.jpg

Buut, thanks again, I'll watch even more about how I water (drown 😏) my plants.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, badly phrased, the predators are faster moving on the whole, they need to be to catch things, the vegetarians tend to be slower, the plants have no escape. Think spiders and caterpillars.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sometime about 1965 I was working night shift, you have my sympathy, the money made it worth it for a bit, but I was glad to go on days as a 'production control assistant' AKA progress chaser. Didn't last at that either.

Ask a Question