Solar Lights

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We've a lot of lights in our garden, 5 mains, 4 low voltage, 3 sets of fairy lights (all of which we rarely turn on) and three PIR security lights. We also had about a dozen solar lights.
Here when we had our koi pool.

P1060029.JPG

But every year I had to put them away in the garage, separate the globes, pack them in polythene boxes, (first removing the batteries) clean the posts then spray, them with WD40, clean their stakes, and pack them in more boxes.
The next year I had to charge up the batteries, then test the lights. The contacts tend to rust, so I needed to use bits of wire on some, to make the connections, then put them out.

This year, as Garden Manager, I made an executive decision.

I binned the lot.

I'm still glad I did.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I wish we could do solar lights here. Too much shade. But I do have some on the deck for security purposes. We have also lined the dock at our airbnb with them, which is totally open to sun.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish we could do solar lights here. Too much shade. But I do have some on the deck for security purposes. We have also lined the dock at our airbnb with them, which is totally open to sun.
My experience is they didn't need as much light as I thought. They are making ones now for things like shed lights where the light and solar unit are separate, joined by a wire.

Ask a Question