Solar Powered GrowBox Concept

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am a studying for a design and innovation degree and have been working on a concept for a garden product that combines a growbox and composting bins and incorporates transparent photovoltaic glass (a fairly recent development in solar panels). I was wondering if you could let me have some feedback on my idea? Love it, hate it? Any suggestions that would make it better?

Here is a picture of the concept:
GrowBox Front.JPG

GrowBox Back.JPG

- The glass of the GrowBox contains transparent Photovoltaic cells that allows light through to the plants inside and also generates electrical energy to power growlights so that plants can be started early in the season (when daylight hours may be shorter). The glass also provides a degree of shading as only 50% of light filters through - trials have shown that this is sufficient for plant growth whilst also providing some shade.

- The GrowBox has waterbutts built into the sideboxes to collect water for irrigation. (This also provides thermal mass (absorbing heat during the day and releasing it at night) to help protect plants from frost.

- The back of the growbox is formed from two large compost bins - again this provides insulation ans releases heat as the compost decomposes - again helping to protect plants early in the season.

- An automatic ventilation hing ensures that the upper skylights open automatically to provide ventilation once the Growbox becomes warm to release excess heat.

Your feedback will be really helpful and much appreciated.

Attachments

• PV GrowBox Concept.JPG
    PV GrowBox Concept.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, although I don't have a scientific brain (but not totally brain dead) that looks superb to me. I'll point your post out to @zigs as he sorts out all the solar stuff around here. As you can see we are also in Kent!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, although I don't have a scientific brain (but not totally brain dead) that looks superb to me. I'll point your post out to @zigs as he sorts out all the solar stuff around here. As you can see we are also in Kent!
Thanks Tetters - good to know that it has appeal! Many thanks for the comment.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

I like the idea. My first thought was about enough light of the right wavelength getting through the glass to the plants but you seem to have that bit covered (y)

Next bit I looked at was if the compartment for the charge controller was waterproof enough? Although at the time of year when the light is needed for seedlings there's not usually enough sunlight to keep batteries fully charged (believe me, I lived off grid for 3 years)

Good idea with the thermal mass, that'll help keep seedlings warm at night.

Main thing that worried me above all else was the compost bin being a lovely place for slugs to sleep and then pop in for some fresh seedlings to graze at night :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Purely a design exercise right? This blends my hobby (veg gardening) with my trade (design engineer).

Just working on the assumption the PV glass is largely transparent in the red and blue wavelengths where plants photosynthesize.

Access looks like it would be a problem. I would have to hinge up a large glass pane then step over a knee high wall with a gutter on it. And do this while holding a tray weighing a few kg. And would I be able to stand up in here or be hunched over while accessing and working on things? Once the large pane is hinged up is it a very expensive sail? I'd expect the majority of the cost in this unit would be in the transparent PV glass.

What about the height and access to the compost bins? How high do I have to reach to load them? Do the doors open all the way so I can access the whole pile to turn it? Coming from the machine safety world, 1.4 meters is high enough to be considered a non-passable barrier where a worker won't climb over it.

What is the water tank to collection surface area ratio? 25 mm of rain equates to how many liters? Where does any excess overflow escape from? Is there a pump to drive water to a hose bib? Looks like there would have to be 3 different water-pigs in there so probably would require a manifold to gang the water-butts to a single hose bib

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

I like the idea. My first thought was about enough light of the right wavelength getting through the glass to the plants but you seem to have that bit covered (y)

Next bit I looked at was if the compartment for the charge controller was waterproof enough? Although at the time of year when the light is needed for seedlings there's not usually enough sunlight to keep batteries fully charged (believe me, I lived off grid for 3 years)

Good idea with the thermal mass, that'll help keep seedlings warm at night.

Main thing that worried me above all else was the compost bin being a lovely place for slugs to sleep and then pop in for some fresh seedlings to graze at night :eek:

Thank you zigs, you have given me some really useful feedback which I will be able to consider as I develop the idea. Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Purely a design exercise right? This blends my hobby (veg gardening) with my trade (design engineer).

Just working on the assumption the PV glass is largely transparent in the red and blue wavelengths where plants photosynthesize.

Access looks like it would be a problem. I would have to hinge up a large glass pane then step over a knee high wall with a gutter on it. And do this while holding a tray weighing a few kg. And would I be able to stand up in here or be hunched over while accessing and working on things? Once the large pane is hinged up is it a very expensive sail? I'd expect the majority of the cost in this unit would be in the transparent PV glass.

What about the height and access to the compost bins? How high do I have to reach to load them? Do the doors open all the way so I can access the whole pile to turn it? Coming from the machine safety world, 1.4 meters is high enough to be considered a non-passable barrier where a worker won't climb over it.

What is the water tank to collection surface area ratio? 25 mm of rain equates to how many liters? Where does any excess overflow escape from? Is there a pump to drive water to a hose bib? Looks like there would have to be 3 different water-pigs in there so probably would require a manifold to gang the water-butts to a single hose bib
Wow, many thanks for taking the time to respond. You have given me loads of food for thought and that’s just what I am needing to make changes and progress the design. This is the final project in my current module and it’s all about following the techniques we have been taught this year to develop a concept idea. It’s great to have the perspective of someone who is an engineer! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I love the idea. I'm not techy enough to say how well it would work, but I'm always experimenting with ways to get that bit of extra heat early in the season - there's no shortage of sunlight.

This year I have solar generators for my house and I'm using them to power wires that heat the soil in my polytunnel raised bed and a heated bench. It's working very well. But thee more heated places I have the more I grow and the more space I need. I am interested in ANYTHING like this.

I highly recommend you try to get in touch with Charles Dowding as he's always interested in this kind of thing. He's tried growing early seedlings on compost piles etc. He would give you some great feedback.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My feeling was that it is a large and expensive bit of kit, but the high tech. side of it will only be useful for a short time, composting and water storage are useful all year, but work well on low tech. Why cut out light with PV glass to provide energy for making light? Seems circular and unnecessary, why not just let the light in?
Does that glass use the rare minerals that normal photo electric cells do? It always seems the big drawback to it, why can't we have small wind powered units doing the same job with well established tech 24/7 instead of only during daylight hours, in accessible places rather than on roof tops. (How often do you have to clean the glass on them in industrialised areas?)
Lastly, how much will this cost? A window sill electric propagator will cost me £20 -£30 and even nice, green, purpose made, water barrels and compost bins are not dear. It has appeal, and someone will always want the latest gizmo, but I don't visualise a mass market.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Hi I am a studying for a design and innovation degree and have been working on a concept for a garden product that combines a growbox and composting bins and incorporates transparent photovoltaic glass (a fairly recent development in solar panels). I was wondering if you could let me have some feedback on my idea? Love it, hate it? Any suggestions that would make it better?

Here is a picture of the concept:
View attachment 96039

View attachment 96040
- The glass of the GrowBox contains transparent Photovoltaic cells that allows light through to the plants inside and also generates electrical energy to power growlights so that plants can be started early in the season (when daylight hours may be shorter). The glass also provides a degree of shading as only 50% of light filters through - trials have shown that this is sufficient for plant growth whilst also providing some shade.

- The GrowBox has waterbutts built into the sideboxes to collect water for irrigation. (This also provides thermal mass (absorbing heat during the day and releasing it at night) to help protect plants from frost.

- The back of the growbox is formed from two large compost bins - again this provides insulation ans releases heat as the compost decomposes - again helping to protect plants early in the season.

- An automatic ventilation hing ensures that the upper skylights open automatically to provide ventilation once the Growbox becomes warm to release excess heat.

Your feedback will be really helpful and much appreciated.
Very good concept. Also, having compost bins adjacent to the growing area would provide radiant heat. :)

Ask a Question