Seeding lawn grass

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
what do you think about covering the surface with DPM (damp proof membrane) or any other barrier I reckon to up the temperature a bit. I have noticed that seeds sprout much faster along and around a water hose :unsure:
Before you overthink it, buy one of those $10 laser thermometers and educate yourself about how hot dense man made materials can get in the sun. You can pastuerize at suprisingly low temperatures given enough time. You can then use the thermometer in the kitchen or garage. Also bone up on the oxidation layer of soil and how suffocation might impact your designs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what do you think about covering the surface with DPM (damp proof membrane) or any other barrier I reckon to up the temperature a bit. I have noticed that seeds sprout much faster along and around a water hose :unsure:
Jonathan, for goodness sake, just leave it alone. If you cover it all up with that stuff it will die. Let nature do her job and just be patient. It will get warm soon enough. When it gets hot, the grass will burn and go brown - just like everyone else's, and when the weather cools and there's a shower of rain it will all green up again and be fine.
We can help God with our garden husbandry, but we shouldn't try to BE God.
When your grass begins to thicken up, do it a favour and give it a light trim with the mower set on high, as it grows more, mow it regularly without shaving it too low. Watch and wait in the meantime...... or better still, find another garden job to concentrate on, and that way you will progress faster. How about digging an area to grow some veggies in - or even build a shed, or archway or something. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Jonathan, for goodness sake, just leave it alone. If you cover it all up with that stuff it will die. Let nature do her job and just be patient. It will get warm soon enough. When it gets hot, the grass will burn and go brown - just like everyone else's, and when the weather cools and there's a shower of rain it will all green up again and be fine.
When your grass begins to thicken up, do it a favour and give it a light trim with the mower set on high, as it grows more, mow it regularly without shaving it too low. Watch and wait in the meantime...... or better still, find another garden job to concentrate on, and that way you will progress faster. How about digging an area to grow some veggies in - or even build a shed, or archway or something. :rolleyes:
I see why cactus man finds you entertaining. I might be wrong of course, according to some comments by my wife, but even then I think your comments are well grounded.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I actually finished building a shed before seeding the lawn. But you are right, I am impatient and the weather this April is not helping. I think the videos I saw online are from like summer when seeds are shooting up much faster.
Maybe me initially watering (not excessively but still) already moist soil actually slowed the seeds. As soon as I stopped watering something began to happen.
And yes I have some vegetables sprouting at home. Will be planting them in raised beds later this year.
The archway is definitely on the cards however first I have to build a patio and a pergola!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well at least those jobs might keep you warm - don't put your vest away yet, there may be more bloody global warming to come!! 🤭oops, naughty word - hush my mouth.
That easterly wind is getting on all our nerves now. Nothing is growing as it should, and even the new stinging nettles have purple tips on them. SO it's not just you who has to be patient.
The sun has been out today, so I put my muffler scarf, hat and gloves and things on and got out on the tractor to cut the grass. I'm indoors now, and have just put my coat on again :rolleyes:
Send us a nice picture of the new patio, pergola and archway......please;)

Ask a Question