Seeding lawn grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I hope you are doing well.
I am in the process of preparing the ground for seeding the grass.
I have calculated how many square meters of land I need to sow. It came up ~181sqm which is ~216 square yards.
I come across Garden Lawncare Guy on Youtube and he sells grass on his website: gardenlawncareguy.com
I think at one point he said 70g of seeds per sqm. So I reckon I need about ~13kg of seeds.
Is my thinking correct?
Should I order this online or just from the nearby garden centre?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your math checks out. I don't know the seeding rate but different types of grass require different quantities and also whether or not the lawn is new or you're overseeding it. There are grass seed calculators online

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your math checks out. I don't know the seeding rate but different types of grass require different quantities and also whether or not the lawn is new or you're overseeding it. There are grass seed calculators online
I checked a few calculators and most of them say 9kg of seeds to cover this 180sqm so 4kg less than what Matt - the Garden Lawncare Guy says. I reckon it makes sense to be generous and/or have some seeds left to fill the patches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ever use a thatch rake? I find them handy for seeding, and covering seed.
Screenshot_20240401_071600_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think we did something wrong. It's already 11 days after I put down the seeds and slightly mixed with the soil using a rake (also a lot of threading) but I don't see much of grass growing. The soil is pretty much compacted. Wondering if this shitty weather including 2 Centigrade at night before yesterday had an impact. The soil is moist if not wet from me purring water but also from rain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I think we did something wrong. It's already 11 days after I put down the seeds and slightly mixed with the soil using a rake (also a lot of threading) but I don't see much of grass growing. The soil is pretty much compacted. Wondering if this shitty weather including 2 Centigrade at night before yesterday had an impact. The soil is moist if not wet from me purring water but also from rain.
I am so sorry no one but me has asked you what kind of grass seed you have purchased? Everyone focuses on the immediate question but the plant always grows in the overall context of its environment. Sun water and youtube?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am so sorry no one but me has asked you what kind of grass seed you have purchased? Everyone focuses on the immediate question but the plant always grows in the overall context of its environment. Sun water and youtube?
and this fertilizer:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
UV light will kill the exposed seed unless it is coated. Also cold temps will delay emergence though rye and red fescue are cool season grasses. You should be seeing the finest small green shoots soon. They are so fine they are hard to see standing up so get closer.

Rye and Fine fescue are clumping grasses. They will be in the group of grasses that are reseeded annually. They like their feet cool and moist and struggle and wane with heat and drought. I have gotten superior germination rates by broadcasting seed then thinly topping with composted manure.

TTF is also a good grass for cool areas.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Johnathan, it has been very cold at night in the UK, and it's causing slow growth on everything this year. New leaves on the trees even look smaller than they should be by now, and that tallies with folk from all over the country. If you are patient, and the sun comes out a bit, your grass will grow. Sometimes I find that doing nothing is the best course. I believe the USA is leaps and bounds in front of us in chilly Britain when it comes to warmth. I'm afraid we have to find more patience. I wouldn't worry too much about watering at this time, as you could wash the seed away (that which the birds haven't had. There should be plenty of moisture in the ground already.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Gentlemen. It makes sense. It can be like 18 degrees during the day then it drops to 2 at night. I think March was a warmer month and I reckon I would have better results if I seeded it then at least to kick-start it.
In the interim on the side I put seeds for birds so pigeons and sparrows have something else to feed on. There are some sacrificial grass seeds anyway. Blackbirds are more into bugs and digging.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, they especially like digging up the onion sets :rolleyes: By the way I am no gentleman! I'm actually an old girl - been gardening for years....and years - since I was about 4 , born in Notts., and dragged down south at an early age because dad's family were all oyster fishers in Whitstable.
PS I've always found that feeding grass is a waste of time and money. Aerating it is probably much more beneficial.

Last edited:

Ask a Question