Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Been a tradition at my house during Rhubarb season that I make Rhubarb Water. It is yummy over ice. or add vodka or gin to it with the ice. Here is the recipe I have used. Made my first batch this morning. Got a nice bunch of rhubarb from my Amish friends.
http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/laura-calder/rhubarb-water.html

Pretty good. I take it one step further.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?LBCQJ 29 May 2015 Rhubarb Apple Juice
Eleven pounds of rhubarb was pulled and mixed with five pounds of purchased apples, and made into ten liters of juice. Process is to cut rhubarb and apples into small pieces to facilitate cooking. Seven liters of water was added to make a drinkable texture. The apples ameliorate the tart flavour of the rhubarb. The cooked ingredients were beat into a slurry using the hand blender, then the liquid was strained through a 2 mm mesh food mill to remove the gross fiber with is very minimal. The strained juice was poured into liter jars and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature. This is the first canning for 2015.
dsc_361729%20may%202015%20rhubarb%20apple%20juice_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
LOL @Durgan , not one step for yours, but many. Mine is so easy, and comes out sparkly clear. tastes wonderful also. No need for mesh etc.

But my system utilizes almost all the vegetable, which I assume incorporates more nutrients. Not as esthetically pleasing but my purpose is nutrition first. For better or worse.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What exactly does rhubarb taste like anyway? I can remember many years ago being a little girl at my Granny's house and she had cooked some rhubarb to make rhubarb pies. I remember tasting the cooked rhubarb before she added anything to it and I thought it was HORRIBLE. I never would try her pies after that.But now, I don't even remember what it tasted like, just that I hated it as a child.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
You got it. It has to be sweetened and this makes it almost unfit to eat, since so much sugar is added. I use it simply for variety and cooking with sweet apples, delicious, the sour flavour is made tolerable. Some people like the sour flavour but to me it is too much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@LillyBelle when I presented a glass to my neighbor visiting over ice, her first thought was watermelon water. It is nice and clear bright pink color. Love the clean natural flavor of it. Choosing to add sugar is all relative, and to drink it with sugar. Given that no one drinks soda's in my house. Or we rarely have desserts (2X a year). Having sugar once in a blue moon is not unreasonable. Its all about balance. Would not choose to muck it up with adding anything else.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Huh, I've never had rhubarb water. I make the usual rhubarb pie or rhubarb crumble once in a while but I haven't really experimented with it. I might have to give it a try, I like the idea of making it into a cocktail by adding vodka. That sounds delicious.

@LillyBelle my cousins and I did the same when we were young, except we would pick it right from the rhubarb patch. Disgustingly sour and I think we all ate it that way just to say we could. It never deterred us from having our grandmothers rhubarb pie though, she makes the best pies be it apple, strawberry, cherry or whatever other fruit she can think of to turn into a pie.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We use to grow all kind of rhubarb back in the day when all the family still lived in Wisconsin. We made cider every year and it would seem this would not be to far off but we never did,....will have to pass this on to the few that still live where the plant grows.

Ask a Question