Rhubarb Apple Juice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?LBCQJ 29 May 2015 Rhubarb Apple Juice
Eleven pounds of rhubarb was pulled and mixed with five pounds of purchased apples, and made into ten liters of juice. Process is to cut rhubarb and apples into small pieces to facilitate cooking. Seven liters of water was added to make a drinkable texture. The apples ameliorate the tart flavour of the rhubarb. The cooked ingredients were beat into a slurry using the hand blender, then the liquid was strained through a 2 mm mesh food mill to remove the gross fiber with is very minimal. The strained juice was poured into liter jars and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature. This is the first canning for 2015.
URL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
As an alternative I used 12lbs rhubarb and 8lbs sugar to make 3 (uk) gals of rhubarb wine.
I put the fermenting bucket, then the 3 demijohns into my greenhouse to supplement CO2 in the hope it would facilitate a slightly raised level of photosynthesis.

Ask a Question