31 May 2016 Rhubarb

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/May%202016/31%20May%202016%20Rhubarb/HTML/ 31 May 2016 Rhubarb
Fifteen pounds of rhubarb from six plants was cooked with five pounds of delicious apples,and processed into 18 liters of juice and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minute for long term storage at room temperature. The apples cut the tart flavour of the rhubarb. This was the first pressure canning processing for 2016.
Process is: Cut both the apples and rhubarb into smaller pieces, add enough water to cover the material in the cooking pot, cook until soft and blend into a homogeneous slurry. Two batches were necessary due to the quantity. The slurry was then strained through a 2mm mesh food processor and placed in liter jars ready for pressure canning. The capacity of the pressure canner is 7 one liter jars. Pictures depict the process.
dsc_904731%20may%202016%20rhubarb_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If you add yeast and sugar, ferment it, clear it and store it for 2 years, you could have 3 gal of the most delicious sherry-type tasting wine.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Oh yum, I love rhubarb. Those are great looking rhubarb stalks. I have to pick mine, it should be good to go now. I checked on it over the weekend and they weren't quite there yet. I plan on making a few pies and freeze them so we can take one out when we have a hankering for rhubarb pie. I usually like strawberry/rhubarb pie but this time around I'm just making rhubarb. I found a recipe for rhubarb crisp on Pinterest as well that I really want to try so I'll have to give that a try.

Ask a Question