Raised Beds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have found wood walls lose water, a twelve inch wall all around could result in a dry bed. Maybe line with plastic?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well most of what I'm planting don't need much water but the soil I've started using holds water. Stays moist but not wet.

It's a cheaper soil than what I've been using but I like the feel of it and I've been adding to it.

big rockpile

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Ever consider using something like the Hügelkultur (HK) containers we talk about on here?

You probably have access to the tubs...just ask a rancher for one or two. They can be made into growing containers in just minutes. They are portable which can be very useful in winter or getting optimal sunlight. They also offer much more depth than 12 inches which is critical to many veggies. I've just demonstrated how you can turn the soil in a container into near perfect growing soil in just over 6 weeks with nothing but a handful of seeds.

A lot going for them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have Tubs and Barrels I'm going to use in my Greenhouse.

I'm wanting something permanent. Plan on building 2 4X10 at least maybe more.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe a bit wide? I reckon on 8foot so I can work in four feet from either side for most things without getting on it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do have some larger beds, and ones I can only get at from one side. My hoe has an eight foot handle, so during the growing season that's fine, I can keep it all weed free, it's when you need to actually do something on the ground, like planting, or harvesting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I fix mine where I can get around and reach I just need higher up.

I can't brase myself with one Arm and reach with another. I tried cleaning the drain on our Bathtub. Found the only way was to lay down on the Tub.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok got my mind working and of course my wife gives her 2 cents.

Thinking get a big plastic tote, if you have an idea oh they have metal cage around.

Anyway cut it in half, drill drain holes.

Then ( we ) decided put wood around the outside to make them look better. I thought just screw the boards into the metal. My wife said it wasn't big enough, take the metal off and screw right into the bed.

Hey open for ideas.

big rockpile

Ask a Question