Blockwork raised beds - ideas for low maintenance plants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are due to have our garden landscaped in a couple of months. Part of the redesign will be 2 long raised beds (blockwork/porcelain pavers), the biggest being almost 5m long. Neither me or my wife are green fingered but would like to fill them with attractive low maintenance plants/shrubs. Any ideas? I like Cordylines but not sure if they'd grow too big, a bit of height would be nice but nothing huge. Would love some bright colour but need to be hardy.. I know it's asking a lot but we want to plant something and it pretty much look after itself with little help (sorry sacrilege talk for some). My wife doesn't like lavender but I do like that look. Any topiary type bushes that will stay small?

Appreciate any advise... I am a complete novice when it comes to anything garden!

Thanks.

Marc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Dwarf buxus. You can hedge them and hide the block on the outside. It is a neat look. Or border them just inside for a neat low border leading to taller plants.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that, this is what I need as I know what looks nice but no idea of names etc! Any idea on something to add some colour.. would some kind of ornamental sage need much attention?

Ask a Question