Potted Veggies

Reaction score
Next year, I plan to maximize my gardening space by putting a few pots on the front porch. This will be the highest sun spot I have as the front door faces west and the back yard faces East.

What kind of veggies grow best in pots? Obviously root space will be a little limited in a pot, but I am not yet experienced enough to know what would work and what wouldn't. I really want to try to grow my own lettuce next year if possible, that seems like a plant that would do OK in pot. Would this be a good idea, or should I try something else?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Next year, I plan to maximize my gardening space by putting a few pots on the front porch. This will be the highest sun spot I have as the front door faces west and the back yard faces East.

What kind of veggies grow best in pots? Obviously root space will be a little limited in a pot, but I am not yet experienced enough to know what would work and what wouldn't. I really want to try to grow my own lettuce next year if possible, that seems like a plant that would do OK in pot. Would this be a good idea, or should I try something else?
What is your location?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Almost all kinds of veggies can be grown in a pot under the right conditions. If you can meet the minimal soil depth requirement and space the plants out, you can grow everything from, carrots, to beets, to lettuce, to eggplant. Because of limited space, you may also want to have things in hangers (like the lettuce) or use tiered planters or just put stuff on metal shelving.

Reaction score
I am in Southern Oregon.

That sounds great, think I will definitely look into getting pots for lettuce.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am in Southern Oregon.

That sounds great, think I will definitely look into getting pots for lettuce.
In your climate you can grow lots of stuff this winter. All of the cole crops for instance. Chard, spinach, onions, lettuce etc The size of the pots will limit your choices. If it turns really cold just cover with Nsulate fabric but most if not all of the above will do fine into the low teens for a limited period of time. Next spring you can grow just about anything you please

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Because of your climate, I'd suggest you use large pots of at least 12" for things like lettuce or beets, and 5 gallon buckets for things that might need a bit more root space. You could invest in a small portable greenhouse for winter or create your own by covering a plastic shelf unit with the same plastic used for hoop houses. Just be sure your porch gets enough sun.

Reaction score
There are several types of vegetables you can grow in pots. This year was my first year doing just that. My space is very limited but I have a beautiful terrace. I grew tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, banana peppers, carrots,tarragon, oregano, and basil. I must tell you it was a very rewarding experience. If you have not done anything like this in the past, I would suggest starting with vegetables that are easy to grow, like the ones I mentioned. Just make sure your pots are large enough. Next year I plan to expand on what I grew this year. I would like to try growing broccoli.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I have found that lettuce and spinach was fairly easy for me to grow out of a pot as well as potatoes. Of course the potatoes ended up being like a science project for us because no matter how big the pot, you won't get as much of a yield as if they are in the ground or a nice size mound. It was still rewarding though. I am attempting to grow collard and mustard greens this year and we have a navy bean plant. So far they are doing well but the bean plant is in the lead followed by the greens and last the spinach. I am growing them on my deck so I think it is a matter of finding the right spot for each of the plants. Good luck to you!

Reaction score
I'm in Florida and I'm having some modest luck with Romaine lettuce and arugula in pots. So far, so good. Herbs like basil and oregano seem to do the best in pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't think I mentioned that I recently grew potatoes in a laundry basket. Not exactly a pot, but the same container concept. My cherry tomatoes have done quite well in their 12 in pots and my strawberries (though neither are vegetables) and my mother has grown a wide assortment of veggies in large storage tubs.

Ask a Question