Pergolas- Thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
This winter did me a favor, the snow took down a small eave that used to be over my back door. I always wanted to put a pergola in this area but the eave was in the way. I am weird, I never would have just demolished this part, but since Mother Nature did it I have started to search for a pergola.

Are they worth it? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions of what I should look for or expect? I had always thought I would change the ground substrate to flagstone and add a table and chair under a pergola, I would add hanging plants and pots and have a cloth cover to shade from the morning sun, there is no sun in the afternoon. Looks great in magazines but are they really great to have?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't say they do any more than look good in the yard. I do like them, I think they are good for shade and a focal point for the house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I love pergola's! I am planning on building one on a SW facing deck that gets way too much sun to sit out there comfortably. I have a Climbing Hydrangea that has peaked out on my six foot fence in that area which would love to grow higher and wider if it could. So in a few years time the pergola should be covered by the climber, and give me lots of shade, while giving a personal interest in the winter with all those tangled up branches that look so cool when it is leafless. Just make sure you orientate the top rafters in the right direction to give you optimum shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If something provides you with any amount of benefit, it's worth it. There are several DIY projects online for building a pergola. If having one will increase your enjoyment of your yard, I say go for it. I am thinking of putting on in back, and one advantage of it would be to be able to arrange the plants under it in freezing weather and wrap/throw cover over it like a tent.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey I am Bert and i want to say that pergolas is the best garden area to enhance the beauty of your garden and they also protect your flowers from changing whether..
http://www.lightandspace.com.au/pergolas

Attachments

• outdoor-pergola-designs.jpg
    outdoor-pergola-designs.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 362

Ask a Question