Newly planted buxus sempervirens wilting fast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m a new member and hoping for some advice on my hedge planted in March/April which is failing to thrive. I’ve planted 3 plants in a plantar to provide screening on our deck. The planters have drainage holes and rocks below the soil to provide good drainage. For 2/3 months they were faring well with new growth and looking healthy. At the start of our dry weather I watered regularly and this is when problems started! It now has brown leaves, turning crisp and dead, some leaves are green but going white round the edges. I’ve attached some pictures which I hope will provide some clue as to what’s wrong! Can anyone help me? Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 312
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 333
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 341

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums, @Warnoj73 :).

Our box hedge has started to bronze in all of this hot weather, so it looks fairly similar. I've seen this before and they look fine again the following spring. However, the brown/bronze leaves on ours aren't crispy. Are they all like that, or just some of the worst affected leaves?

As your box hedge is pretty new, it's going to be doubly tough for them. What's the deck location like - is it open, windy and exposed, or quite sheltered?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your reply. On touching the brown leaves they’re not actually crispy, just look like they are, curling up at the ends. I’ve attached a photo of the worst bits. It’s very exposed where they are but was advised these hedges would suit an exposed site.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 312

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That last photo doesn't look like that branch is doing well - I didn't spot that in the initial photos. Personally, I'd just wait it out until spring (although perhaps move them to somewhere a little more sheltered temporarily and keep on top of watering). I think it's just this crazy hot weather, normally they'd likely be ok in that position.

Perhaps someone else here has some more advice, but I would just put it down to the unusually constant heat and sunshine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Warnoj73. :) The nutrients in new potting compost only lasts for approximately six weeks, from then on feeding plants in pots is necessary. With the extra watering needed this summer any nutrients left would have been flushed out. May I suggest you feed them with something like blood, fish and bone to see if they pick up.

Buxus can also suffer from blight but at this point I think it's probably a lack of food. Please keep us posted on their progress.

Ask a Question