New shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I'm looking for advice on a new shed, I'm late 50's so I'm after a shed that will probably outlast me & as the location will be in a corner next to my garage & backing onto next doors garage I wont be able to get around the shed to paint it if made of wood so I'm looking for either plastic or metal. I've searched for a few days with Google & it seems that all plastic sheds in the UK are by a couple of manufacturer's with mixed reviews about build quality & do seem really flimsy with no security as they are not very robust

With metal most which came up on searches are again very flimsy with build quality concerns until I found a company called Asgard who by the looks of them make very secure strong sheds & I want the shed for a small work area as well as storing a lot of power tools. I have a very small back gardens so the shed I'm after is around 5x8 & they make one at 5x7 which will be fine, the only drawback I can see with them is they have no windows for security which isn't really a problem as I plan to put in LED lighting anyway

They cost a lot more than a cheap plastic or metal shed & at the moment are on offer at £750 for the 5x7 but you get what you pay for & it includes a galvanised steel floor & it could be the perfect match for what I'm after & I'm wondering if anyone has got one of these sheds or have any recommendations on other manufacturer's? If it were a plastic shed I would be looking for one with the same strength as portable toilet you see at events all over the place, ie thick strong plastic & much more secure than the average plastic shed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
There's an endless choice, depending on how much money you have to spend.

I built my own, but it was 43 years ago. I used re-claimed timber and three of next door's wooden windows when they had double glazing installed. The side ones open from the bottom. It backs on to our garage.
One side is very close to the party fence, but I can paint it with a roller if it's "ever necessary."
The roof is strong enough for me to stand on to prune next door's overhanging trees each year.
It's still as good as it ever was. It's up about a foot off the ground on brick piers, so no rot.

Shed.JPG

The things to consider, is how you want to use it. With mine I've all sorts hanging from the walls, as with plywood and 3" x 2" it's easy enough to bang in a nail or use a screw or hook.

Sheds get very warm in summer, so metal or plastic ones might be difficult to work in, without ventilation. You're also likely to get condensation inside.

"Each to their own"
In your position, even at my age, I'd build a wooden one again.
I've seen new wooden sheds and portable buildings at various places over the years and have never been impressed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I totally agree with @Sean Regan (this time) ;) Wood is best. The others-plastic or metal are nothing but trouble. If you get inaccessible walls well treated before the shed goes in - well at least the bits you won't be able to reach afterwards, they'll be more than likely to see you out, as well as your grandchildren!
Those tar based paints are great!
By the way, welcome to the forums.

Ask a Question