What are good plants to put either side of our shed doors and what should I put in the window boxes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need advice. We're putting up a new shed with double doors, and I'd like to stick two plants either side. I was thinking of two small trees or shrubs, but are there any flowers or other plants that that I could put in planters either side? I'd like something small and low-maintenance, maybe something under 3–4 feet or smaller? Also, any advice on what kinds of flowers to stick in the window boxes would be great! I was thinking violas/pansies.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are always many options for plant selection. Tell us more about your needs and preferences. Should the plants be deciduous or evergreen? Do you want showy flowers, and if so which color, and in what season? Of course, a photo of the place in question would help immensely.

Pansies (Viola x wittrockiana) and Bedding Viola (Viola x williamsii) are wonderful choices for cool season color. If you want some additional height in your window boxes, consider adding a few Stock (Matthiola incana) or Iceland Poppies (Papaver nudicaule.). Cyclamen and Primula are other popular choices for this time of year, in areas with moderately mild Winters, of course.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of something evergreen for the plants maybe? And I'd like to try and grow something cat-friendly, since we get a lot of neighbourhood cats coming into our garden.

We're planning on sitting outside in the summer a lot and using it all year as a workshop, so I'd love to plant something nice to look at year-round.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a near-identical thread to another one posted about the same time. I will paste in my response from that thread.

That is an attractive shed. The direction the doors face will have important consequences for light. If you know that, do tell, though sun and shade options can both be suggested.

You want the plant to be four feet tall, including a reasonable container height, so perhaps a two and a half foot plant. Evergreen.
You mention shrubs (and trees), but you may wish to consider perennials as well. Low maintenance is a relative term. For containers, regular irrigation, and occasional fertilization, grooming and shaping would be expected.

If the shed faces South perhaps something like Lavender (Lavandula spp. & cvs.) or a low Rose (Rosa cvs.).

If the shed faces North perhaps an evergreen Azalea (Rhododendron, various evergreen hybrids) or Japanese Daphne (Daphne odora).

For East and West exposure with a half day of sun you might try a number of sun or shade options.

Again, for both sun and shade, consider a mixed planting of perennial and annuals in a large container. This often give the most interest and show through the seasons. Also, if you do want a taller shrub or less maintenance, consider an in-ground planting in that location, such as a Camellia or Hydrangea.

Finally, to state the obvious, I have only touched on a few possibilities, there are many others.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a yellow choisia, 'Sun dance', in a pot, which keeps it from getting too big. Nice by a doorway because it will smell good as you brush past as well as when it is in flower. Quite a few things will stay small in a pot, poinsettia for example.

Ask a Question