What plants should I put in my front yard? (picture)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The family is redoing our entire house and I am doing the front yard. I don't know what to put because I am new to landscaping. These plants have been here for years and I'm happy I get to get rid of them. Near the entrance way, we just have a palm tree along with ugly bush plants. By the window, we also have palm trees and we have strawberry plants than another palm.
We will definitely be getting rid of the strawberries and the bush things. We will most likely be getting rid of the tree in the front of the window.

Any ideas what to plant? Specifically what kind of tree I should place the dead one with because I'll just probably just plant stuff that matches it. We also have a big tree in front of everything, couldn't get a picture. But it has a really thick trunk, thick even foliage, and the leaves are kinda light green, We'll probably get that trimmed.
IMG_20170328_172502.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
Hey Pablo, if you want a big tree, how about mango? I know you want one and I also know that you have right weather conditions......
You could plant bulbs like tuberose, zephyranthus(rain lily), amaryllis, crinum, heliconia, canna etc. For shady spots, you can plant football lily.
If you want to plant annuals, you can plant cosmos, balsam, marigolds, vinca etc.
Coleus is a good plant for semi shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How about some sort of ornamental grasses to replace the bush things? The soft lines and shapes would complement your house I think. Not sure what grows well in your region but you will have lots of choices, from low-growing colorful grass to giant pampas.

For a tree... Avocado! :) Pretty trees and yummy fruit. I lived in California years ago and had an avocado tree in my front yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hey Pablo, if you want a big tree, how about mango? I know you want one and I also know that you have right weather conditions......
You could plant bulbs like tuberose, zephyranthus(rain lily), amaryllis, crinum, heliconia, canna etc. For shady spots, you can plant football lily.
If you want to plant annuals, you can plant cosmos, balsam, marigolds, vinca etc.
Coleus is a good plant for semi shade.
All those flowers seem nice. Yeah a mango tree would be a good idea, I think my nursery has some. I kinda want somewhat of a jungle theme, maybe stick to some phillidendrons and some flowers, those amarylis would go really good with the mango tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How about some sort of ornamental grasses to replace the bush things? The soft lines and shapes would complement your house I think. Not sure what grows well in your region but you will have lots of choices, from low-growing colorful grass to giant pampas.

For a tree... Avocado! :) Pretty trees and yummy fruit. I lived in California years ago and had an avocado tree in my front yard.
Yeah an avocado would be great. Everyone in my family loves avocados. The pampa grass would look great and they seem simple and they'd fit well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
how about, you driving around and eyeing stuff in other properties that work and making a list from that. Not from that area. I rarely visit California, but was so disappointed the first time, really thought I 'd be seeing lots of flower color etc , but, what I saw the most was impatients, like I have here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
how about, you driving around and eyeing stuff in other properties that work and making a list from that. Not from that area. I rarely visit California, but was so disappointed the first time, really thought I 'd be seeing lots of flower color etc , but, what I saw the most was impatients, like I have here.
What part of CA do you visit? There are more flowers in SoCal than NoCal. I'm right in between San Diego and Los Angeles, there's a big mountain right next to my school that almost turns yellow in the spring from all the flowers. We also have some really big and pretty California Poppy fields blooming nearby, my environmental science teacher said that's why everyone is getting lazy and tired.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hey guys, here is what I did. I still need to do the area near the window but I am tired. Raked out all the old mulch and shoveled out the old plants. Planted what I think is English lavender and Winter Bee lavender. I wanted to plant Pampa grass instead but lowes didn't have any and mom was set on lavender. She wants to swap the lavender in the corner with the red rose above and plant that climbing rose near the wall. I still need to balance out the mulch.

My mom was talking about spraying the lavender with pesticide and I was like wtf you are crazy thats why bees are dying.
IMG_20170331_153807.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
What part of CA do you visit? There are more flowers in SoCal than NoCal. I'm right in between San Diego and Los Angeles, there's a big mountain right next to my school that almost turns yellow in the spring from all the flowers. We also have some really big and pretty California Poppy fields blooming nearby, my environmental science teacher said that's why everyone is getting lazy and tired.
my husbands brother and wife live in Huntington Beach. So been there, and last was up in Maui, CA.

Ask a Question