New Basil Plant - Black Spots, Brown Edges

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey Everyone,

I was able to sprout this from a few seeds I was given by a family member, unfortunately not many of them took and this was the only one to make it.

I've noticed that there's black spots on top of browning parts of the leaves that has been spreading. There are also lighter green spots, which look sickly and not a deeper green as it was a week or two ago.

Any suggestions to stop whatever is happening would be great! Photos attached.

1.jpg

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 4

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It sounds like your plant might be dealing with a fungal issue, like leaf spot disease, and possibly a nutrient deficiency or pest problem. Here's what you can try:

Improve Air Circulation Make sure the plant isn't too close to others and that there's good air flow around it.

Watering Practices Water at the base to keep leaves dry, or if you have to get the leaves wet, do it in the morning so they dry out during the day.

Pruning Cut off the affected leaves to prevent spread of disease. Disinfect your pruners afterwards with alcohol.

Fungicide Apply an organic fungicide, such as neem oil, following the product instructions.

Nutrients Check the soil nutrients with a test kit. The plant might need a balanced fertilizer.

Pest Inspection Look for pests under the leaves and along the stems. Treat any infestations with insecticidal soap or horticultural oil.

Quarantine Keep this plant away from others to prevent potential spread of the issue.

Optimal Conditions Ensure the plant has the right light conditions and isn't stressed by its environment.

Ask a Question