Need help on deciding which Allium..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I want to plant some Allium bulbs and been researching the different kinds. I want the largest purple flowering head. It seems as though the Allium Globemaster and the Allium Giganteum are the largest of all Alliums and almost identical. The only difference I see is the Giganteum grows a foot taller then the Globemaster but both flowering heads seem to be the same size. The one site I was on stated the Globemaster is the most preferred by avid gardeners but they didn't specify why. Can anyone give me some insight that I may be missing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've been wanting to plant some large alliums as well. I've not researched the varieties, but I think the fact that the giganteum grows a foot taller is something in it's favor. In your research, have you checked to see which perform best in your growing zone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I've been wanting to plant some large alliums as well. I've not researched the varieties, but I think the fact that the giganteum grows a foot taller is something in it's favor. In your research, have you checked to see which perform best in your growing zone?

Yes. Both identical for growing zones. The one site I read stated the Globemaster gets a max of 4ft and the Giganteum gets a max of 5ft. Both have the same size flowering heads...the one thing they did mention is the Giganteum should be planted where its shielded by wind. I guess because of the extra foot it can break in excessive wind. Maybe thats why they stated the Globemaster is most preferred...not sure that an extra foot makes that big of a difference but maybe it really does

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States

I made a few calls today to some online nurseries and got some good information on the Alliums from Eden Brothers. They were the most helpful. The lady recommended the Globemaster. She said they are a bit sturdier in windy conditions and also said the flowers are a bit larger than the Giganteums. I ordered 10 Globemaster bulbs with 10 hyacinth bulbs. Boy the Alliums are expensive! Everywhere. Not just there.... If you order from Eden Brothers use the coupon code "loyalcustomer" for 10% off your entire order and its also free shipping.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, one thing about bulbs is that they multiply over time. It may be a bit costly to start out, but eventually you'll be trying to get rid of them when they seem to be taking over your yard. Then you'll have some to trade with other gardeners.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds good @Jersey_Marine, I hope they work out well! I've been wanting to plant some Alliums for a while, so I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with them (y)

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I planted some large alliums one year and they didn't come back the next year. I would love to have them in my garden. Maybe I will try them again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like the Allium Globemaster for it big beautiful head of flowers! My neighbor has the regular, small size flowers allium, and I had some seeds from that to plant in my garden. Love the lavender color.

Ask a Question