Help needed with lawnmowing scene in novel

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there

I am writing a gruesome scene in a thriller involving a lawnmower, and I'm after some technical help.

I won't go into detail now in case this is not an acceptable thread for the forum.

Could someone please answer some questions or suggest another possible source of help?

Thanks in advance.

Greg Moriarty

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I'm all things mechanical (was a Seabee). Ask away.
If it gets way gruesome, which I'm alright with for the novel, we can take it to pm's or something. lol.
Unless no one else would be offended, either?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am in. We have had lawnmower bombings North of here. Will that help? What about electrocution? Nothing like a bunch of amps from a battery powered riding mower to brighten ones day! Or what about being attacked by some hacked robo mowers? Maybe that has too much irobot? What about slow death from mowing and inhaling pathogenic fungal spores? The slow death allows for more adjectives? And the victim can even turn into a plant! Weaponized Zombie fungus Ophiocordyceps?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Hi there

I am writing a gruesome scene in a thriller involving a lawnmower, and I'm after some technical help.

I won't go into detail now in case this is not an acceptable thread for the forum.

Could someone please answer some questions or suggest another possible source of help?

Thanks in advance.

Greg Moriarty
I think at this point, you can ask anything

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks everyone.

I'll tell you what I have in mind and you can tell me how ludicrous or plausible it is.

The setting is a closed environment, like a prison. Someone is instructed to mow a lawn using a walk behind. Halfway through, he turns the mower upside down. He wants to see if he can remove the blade and keep it as a weapon. So he has a feel around and manages to get his fingers behind the blade to see if he can remove it.

This means his wrists are touching the blade. Then the mower starts up but can't pick up speed because his arms are in the way. I want the blade to jam against his wrists and cut into the skin but not cut off his hands.

He's trapped, unable to remove his fingers from the 'safe' space above the jammed blade. Then I need him to ease his fingers out, perhaps fingers folded down, to protect his fingertips, but expose his knuckles.

Could he get his fingers out in time? Or would he lose his hands as he pulls away?

I'm hoping he only gets slashed or severed fingers that can be stitched and bandaged up, and that he can go on to cause havoc in later scenes using his hands.

Thanks for any help

Greg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Its a battery mower. gas will not flow up hill in a upside down gas carburator and electric motors can at least briefly pull 6 times their rating in torqueupon start. Might I suggest the 80v kobalt mower from lowes?

Last edited:

Ask a Question