Need help for terrace garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I'm Denis I live in Yonkers, NY I would like to learn how to grow plants on my terrace.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome, Denis! :)

How much sun does it get? And do you want to grow flowering/decorative plants, vegetables, or both? Almost anything can be planted in containers, and some plants can be trained to grow vertically (or in hanging baskets) if you're short of room.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't get much direct sunlight. So i think that rules out most vegetables. What would be the best plant to start with that grows in shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Plenty of annuals (petunias, begonias, impatiens) and perennials (hosta, ferns) do great in shade or part sun. Some veggies, like greens will do OK in part shade.

I'm guessing you have a garden center near you...NOT a big box store like Wal-Mart or Home Despot but an independent owned place? That would be your best resource, really. Walk around, check out what appeals to you; everything should be labeled how much shade it can tolerate, whether it attracts butterflies, how much space it needs, etc. Plus staff at such places tend to be plant geeks and really helpful. Hands on exploring will be the most useful, plus it's relaxing walking around all those plants. :)

I have lots of space but still grow lots of stuff in containers. I use potting soil with some compost mixed in, and maybe fertilize once or twice during the season. Things in containers may need to be watered a little more often than what's in the ground since it dries out quicker.

Ask a Question