My Pet Hate ! ..... Disney

Reaction score
Well certain Disney films at least, mainly those with cute humanised cartoon animals THAT TALK ! I cannot stand the likes of Bambi, Lady & the Tramp etc, and I even refused to take my kids to see them.

Animals are animals, especially wild animals, of they can look cute, but they do not talk, and they are certainly in the majority of species not very bloody friendly and in the case of Lions and Tigers are more likely to kill you than cuddle you, plus they are probably riddled with fleas, ticks and all kinds of diseases, so why do we insist on making them look what they are not.

It must confuse kids, we show them a Disney film like Lion King, then take them to a Safari park, whats that all about !

Show them Lady & The Tramp, then tell them to stay away from stray dogs in the street, no wonder we are bringing up an unbalanced generation !

Reaction score
My daughter is not a moron, so she can tell the difference between an animated lion and a real lion. We like wild animals from a distance and she understood ,even as a small child, that they are dangerous. If a child is going up to wild animals because they saw a Disney cartoon, then that is a parenting failure.
I've always explained to my daughter the difference between real animals and animated animals. If you try to shelter your child from every animated animal, they will be very confused when they grow up and realize that they've missed about 40 years of movies and cartoons. Heck, even commercials have cartoon animals.

You sound like you hate lions. Lions didn't ask to be kidnapped from the wild and caged up for the entertainment of humans so leave those poor animals alone.

Reaction score
They provide entertainment for children and have been for many, MANY years. Its harmless and enjoyable and like the Santa issue, they find out that it all is just a fantasy. Disney has been around for over nine decades so its not just today's kids. There are far worse things that they could be watching - much worse.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My pet hate is the media's and the clueless public's obsession with movie and TV celebrities. Who cares about who is sleeping with whom or who has been seen out on the town with whoever. What is so special about these people, most of whom don't know enough to tie their shoes without help? And the young punks getting in trouble while speeding around in their half million dollar sports cars getting a pat on the wrist when if it were you or I we would still be in jail. What makes them so special? Do they put their pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us? Is makebelieve more important than reality?

Reaction score
My daughter is not a moron, so she can tell the difference between an animated lion and a real lion. We like wild animals from a distance and she understood ,even as a small child, that they are dangerous. If a child is going up to wild animals because they saw a Disney cartoon, then that is a parenting failure.
I've always explained to my daughter the difference between real animals and animated animals. If you try to shelter your child from every animated animal, they will be very confused when they grow up and realize that they've missed about 40 years of movies and cartoons. Heck, even commercials have cartoon animals.

You sound like you hate lions. Lions didn't ask to be kidnapped from the wild and caged up for the entertainment of humans so leave those poor animals alone.

Umm show me where I said any child is a moron ?

And how do you know what is going through a childs mind, simple fact is you don't !
It's been proven that the images children see have an impact, and that is ALL images.

I have never liked Disney, even as a small child, I hated the way it made out that animals talk, I hated the way it showed that Panthers were friends with chimps, when in reality if it came across one, it would try to kill it and eat it.

As for being confused, I would argue that it's more confusing for a child to be told one minute that lions etc are cute and talk, then the next day being taken to a safari park and being kept locked in the car/bus/coach in case one decides to try and eat you.

Reaction score
They provide entertainment for children and have been for many, MANY years. Its harmless and enjoyable and like the Santa issue, they find out that it all is just a fantasy. Disney has been around for over nine decades so its not just today's kids. There are far worse things that they could be watching - much worse.

So that makes it OK ?

At least Santa is based on a real person Saint Nicholas who gave presents to the poor and needy, or had that escaped you ?

Reaction score
My pet hate is the media's and the clueless public's obsession with movie and TV celebrities. Who cares about who is sleeping with whom or who has been seen out on the town with whoever. What is so special about these people, most of whom don't know enough to tie their shoes without help? And the young punks getting in trouble while speeding around in their half million dollar sports cars getting a pat on the wrist when if it were you or I we would still be in jail. What makes them so special? Do they put their pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us? Is makebelieve more important than reality?

Ah that old chestnut.

My Dad used to say, they came from the same place as me, and in a hundred years they will be in the same state as me, money can't change that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah that old chestnut.

My Dad used to say, they came from the same place as me, and in a hundred years they will be in the same state as me, money can't change that.
Yeah, but in the meantime...............................................:mad:

Reaction score
Kind of ironic that you're decrying cartoonised dangerous animals, when you yourself have a cartoon lion as your avatar, no? ;)

Reaction score
Kind of ironic that you're decrying cartoonised dangerous animals, when you yourself have a cartoon lion as your avatar, no? ;)

Good spot ! That sir is World Cup Wille, the England mascot from 1966, and as far as I can remember he never spoke !

Reaction score
Good spot ! That sir is World Cup Wille, the England mascot from 1966, and as far as I can remember he never spoke !
How would you explain to children that the lion is wearing clothes and playing football, but then when they go to the zoo the lions are naked and have no athletic skills?
Won't the kids be confused and try to play football with the lions at the zoo?

Reaction score
How would you explain to children that the lion is wearing clothes and playing football, but then when they go to the zoo the lions are naked and have no athletic skills?
Won't the kids be confused and try to play football with the lions at the zoo?
I dunno what zoos you've been to, but all of the lions I've seen love playing football ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You made a valid point! My dislike is the myth about Santa Clause and Easter bunny! We are teaching our children the wrong concepts of these Holidays and emphasize too much on receiving presents.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Ah that old chestnut.

We try to export our embarassments. Thank you USA for storing that little twerp Justin Bieber!

OK, that wasn't very nice of us, but you've got to agree every country has someone or something that makes the rest wonder just wtf....

Let's face it though, cartoon characters and spoiled celebrities are nothing compared to the real world where terrorists, drug dealers etc ruin so many lives.

Ask a Question