My lawn is a yawn...novice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where to start...
mLjcv9

So this is the patchy, ugly looking lawn I have to look at . I'm not a gardener or a fan or doing gardens but I am house proud.
We moved in around a month ago, it was overgrown and unkept. I moved it down and uncovered this.
I've mowed, raked and put down some weed killer as 85% of the garden was weeds...well the weed killer didn't work, although it did clear the moss on the grass.
Ive mowed the lawn after around 3 weeks and found that some of the grass I had spread had grown (my son tipped the whole box in one place, you may be able to see that).
I spread some more seed as I can see the grass getting darker and healthier.
I've done a lot of reading on products and how to do this and that but it's muffled my head.
I'm not looking to have the best garden ever...just healthy and green grass

Any help, advice or offers to come and do it for me will be much appreciated

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Don't think it's your fault that the lawn is not ideal. We can't see the pic though. Need to upload jpg. For some reason, it's not showing up properly. The weather this year has been atrocious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So..the place to begin is the place you understand. Organic fertilizer is better than chemical fertilizer some people say. Where are you on that kind of thinking?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Salebo87 :) Unfortunately your image is not showing, could you try uploading it directly? Click on 'Upload a File' to add an image to your post.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry guys this is it.

I know it'll take time. I'm asking for which products to use, how to get that "great lawn"
This is my first garden so I'm very new to it.

Also I forgot about the hideous drain cover, any ideas for coverage and easy to move if need be

DSC_0401.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It’s a little hard to tell what’s going on in that pic

To me it looks like what we call quack grass .

The more you cut out the more space you’ll have for good grass to fill in

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the photo (y)

It looks quite damp, and the fact that you had a lot of moss growing there suggests to me it doesn't get much sunlight, is that right? Waterlogged lawns can be caused by compacted earth, which you could help resolve by poking holes in it - easy enough with just a garden fork. You could then brush sand into the holes, which will help drainage. If your lawn drains better then it may be less prone to moss. However if the waterlogging is caused by clay underneath then there's not much you can do about that short of digging it all up.

The corner of the lawn seems to be well trodden, so maybe do something to fence it off to allow the grass to grow.

Re the drain cover, I think the best rememdy would be a large potted plant that could be moved for access if needed.

Finally, I'd just add that sometimes it's just difficult to get grass to grow in certain conditions. It's often possible with work, but you'll be fighting a constant battle. If there are patches of the lawn that just don't grow grass well no matter what you try, consider turning them into a flower bed with plants that like those conditions.

Ask a Question