Miniature rose questions

Reaction score
First, even though I've had miniature roses a few times, they were given to me (Mothers' Day gifts), and I'm woefully ignorant in regards to them, so please don't roast me or consider me an idiot.

A miniature rose was given to me and it survived the onslaught that killed my beans, peas, potatoes, and tomatoes a couple of years ago. In fact, I thought it looked great up until a few days ago, though I thought the leaves should have been greener. I found it dug up, roots missing, and most of the upper portion missing. The hole was small as if a rodent had dug it up, but I'm mystified about the missing branches and leaves - and I honestly don't know if the color of the leaves was wrong when I saw them a few days earlier. I didn't pay that much attention to the leaf color last year or the year before

Has anyone had miniature roses here? If so, have you had small animals dig them up? Or chow down on them (these had thorns)? Or diseases? Are the leaves always a deep green? Mine were a reddish color, but they looked healthy to me. What would you suggest as the best care for them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm obsessed with miniature roses, they're my favorite plants! I have a few roses but I grow them in flowerpots on my windowsill so animals don't have access to them. I'm so sorry that something attacked your rose!:(
My roses' leaves are deep green - but if leaves are really young and small, they can be red or very light green, it's normal.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. So, I expect the color of the leaves was normal, since it hadn't been long since they had leafed out for the season.

It looks like I should keep them inside if I get another miniature rose bush(es). In our current house, we have no windowsill and no place to put plants, so it will have to wait.

A few years ago, a friend gave me a red miniature rose and my son (about 10 or 11 years old at the time) gave me a white one. They were so beautiful together.

The Peace rose has such a beautiful color. Do you know if miniature roses come in that color (all I've seen thus far is red, pink, and white)?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The Peace rose is pink-orange, right? I haven't seen a miniature rose like this but they come in so many different colors so everything is possible I guess. I have a miniature rose that produce red and white flowers, it looks very unique. I currently dream about orange or yellow miniature rose:)
If you'll decide to keep some miniature roses inside, please remember that during winter they go dormant - so you'll have to move them to a colder room. My roses currently are in the attic but spring is almost here so I hope soon I'll have them in my room again:D

Reaction score
Yes, the Peace rose is pink-orange. There is another rose that is a pale peach color. Beautiful! I don't remember it's name, though.

That is awesome about your red and white roses. I would love a miniature rose like that. How did you get it?

Thanks for the heads up about the roses needing to be put in a colder room. I didn't know that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
That is awesome about your red and white roses. I would love a miniature rose like that. How did you get it?

It was a gift from my boyfriend. But I'm pretty sure he bought it at supermarket, in gardening section. They sometimes sell miniature roses there and some of them are really lovely.
When my rose bloom, I'll take pictures so you'll be able to see it - it's a very beautiful plant:D

Reaction score
I would love to see pictures of your rose in bloom.

I'll keep my eyes open, then, when I'm in any store that has a gardening section. Was it blooming when you got it? I ask, because I'm wondering if you/he knew at the outset that it would have two colors on it. Or maybe the tag said it had two colors?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It was blooming when we got it so we knew that it has lovely, two-colored flowers. I think it's the main reason why my boyfriend decided to buy it for me. It's a very unique plant. I hope it will bloom soon, it went dormant during winter but it just started growing again:D

Reaction score
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that your miniature rose got attacked! :( They are such gorgeous plants.

I, too, would love to see pictures of your roses, claudine. They sound so lovely.

Reaction score
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that your miniature rose got attacked! :( They are such gorgeous plants.

I, too, would love to see pictures of your roses, claudine. They sound so lovely.
Yes, it was very sad.

Last year, I took pictures of it with the roses on it. I also picked the roses and took pictures of it. It was with a cell phone that doesn't have service, though, so I can't - at the moment - post any of the pictures (not that anyone asked - :D - )

The flowers of miniature roses are so cute because they are so tiny. I put one in my hair and took a picture or two of it. I used it as an avatar on a site I was a member of. I think it's still on my computer at home (I'm out of town for a week or so).

Anyway . . .

Looking forward to Claudine's pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Antau LJn, I'd love to see the pictures of your miniature rose flowers:D
I hope that my roses will bloom soon. They're in my room already, I pruned them and today I gave them some fertilizer. I'm pretty sure that I noticed one bud but it's so tiny!

Reaction score
Thanks. :) If/when I can help my pictures from that particular phone escape, I will post pictures of the roses.

Reaction score
It took me a while to be able to find a way to transfer the pictures to another phone that would let me upload to my computer.

673011f3-cc88-4378-b969-60c29a940036_zpscb6a6ac2.jpg
845647b3-11a7-43d4-9f50-97472f88117c_zps6c25997a.jpg
646e3395-5d20-41c2-9dae-6138ad7e9d3c_zps1c955d76.jpg

0524120544a_0001_zps064971a7.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Antau LJn, your miniature roses are beautiful, thank you for sharing these pictures with us!:D I find them gorgeous. One of my miniatures produces flowers that look almost the same as the one in the last picture:)

Ask a Question