Miniature roses

Reaction score
I absolutely love the miniature rose bushes. In fact, they are the only rose bush I will buy. My husband bought me two mini bushes for Valentines Day. They were decorated in small neat pots and wrapped in some cellophane wrap. My roses since have taken off and went on a growth spurt. They are growing so beautifully but I am saddened to say, they are outgrowing the pots they came in AND are getting to big to stay in the house.

I really want these roses to keep growing but I am scared that once I move them outside in the ground they will die. I have not had much luck with anything surviving in my yard except those silly wildflowers that I really don't care for. I guess I am here asking for advice. What would you all do to try to keep your bushes growing healthy but instead of inside with an outside environment. Are there certain types of dirt I should buy to keep them growing healthy? I just haven't been a rose grower so any help/advice here would really be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I grow miniature roses indoors:) I love them too! They're gorgeous plants, aren't they? Don't worry, if you have a miniature variety, it won't grow too big. You can always prune it a little. Roses like being pruned, early spring is the perfect time to do it.
As for the soil, I use a regular one, you can buy it in every gardening store.

Reaction score
Mini roses are delightful! I haven't had them in awhile but once I get into my new place I plan on having them either inside or out. Mainly you want to use a rose specific fertilizer that is sold at any garden center.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Mini roses are delightful! I haven't had them in awhile but once I get into my new place I plan on having them either inside or out. Mainly you want to use a rose specific fertilizer that is sold at any garden center.
To be honest, I used many different kinds of fertilizers on my miniature roses, not only rose specific ones, and I haven't noticed any differences:) They all work great.
I believe that roses are less delicate than they seem to be:)

Reaction score
I love the miniature rose bushes also! They are so petite and delicate yet so beautiful. They seem to be pretty hardy also, and grow well in different climates. I especially love all of the different colors you can choose from.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I couldn't agree more! Miniature roses seem delicate, but the truth is that they don't need anything special and they're easy to grow:)
I love that they come in so many different colors, too. Currently, I dream of a yellow miniature rose:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I bought 5 pots of miniature roses in 5 colors after Valentine's Day on close out. They were in little 3" pots. (Sorry the photo is so poor) I decided to plant them in some outside containers, so I could move them as needed and monitor more easily for black spot (it's really bad here) and keep them out of the rain if needed.
image.jpg
Today they are really robust plants in their 2 gallon pots. I can't wait. Some are starting to have buds again.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here are three of the colors. There is also a peach and red. I think they will look great on the patio.

Reaction score
Jewell - think your roses are gorgeous - love the colors too :)

On the subject of fertilizer - I wouldn't recommend fertilizing roses with anything other - than a potassium rich - rose specific fertilizer - as using a fertilizer than is not designed for a particular plant type often results in a weakened plant.

Which as most general use all round fertilizers often contain far more nitrogen than roses need - instead of feeding the roots - it encourages the plant into providing lots of top growth - which as the rose will have put all its energy into providing top growth instead of directing it to the root system - it weakens the plant :(

So if you want strong healthy roses that will give you lots of pleasure for many years - would suggest that you feed them with a rose specific fertilizer - so that they get the nutrients that they need :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Jewell, your miniature roses are beyond gorgeous!:) I love them. They all look very healthy. How often do you prune them? I wish my roses looked so pretty!:) And you have a two-colored rose, too:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Jewell, your miniature roses are beyond gorgeous!:) I love them. They all look very healthy. How often do you prune them? I wish my roses looked so pretty!:) And you have a two-colored rose, too:)
Claudine, I haven't pruned them. I believe they may have double in size since those photos. Buds but no blooms yet. Weather has been cool. I am beginning to wonder how big miniature rose bushes get. It will be interesting to see which ones are continual bloomers versus single time bloomers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Some of miniature rose bushes can get pretty big:) I'm saying this from my own experience. One of my miniatures is almost 50 cm tall, I think. It's giant! My other roses are much smaller though.
I'm starting to think that I prune them too often.

Reaction score
I absolutely love the miniature rose bushes. In fact, they are the only rose bush I will buy. My husband bought me two mini bushes for Valentines Day. They were decorated in small neat pots and wrapped in some cellophane wrap. My roses since have taken off and went on a growth spurt. They are growing so beautifully but I am saddened to say, they are outgrowing the pots they came in AND are getting to big to stay in the house.

I really want these roses to keep growing but I am scared that once I move them outside in the ground they will die. I have not had much luck with anything surviving in my yard except those silly wildflowers that I really don't care for. I guess I am here asking for advice. What would you all do to try to keep your bushes growing healthy but instead of inside with an outside environment. Are there certain types of dirt I should buy to keep them growing healthy? I just haven't been a rose grower so any help/advice here would really be appreciated.

Hi. I've been growing miniature roses outside in pots for about 12 years. The more sun the better they bloom but mine get only about 5 hrs a day and they do ok. Depending on where you live, ie climate conditions, insect and disease problems will vary greatly. Here in south Louisiana, blackspot is the main problem for rose growers, and even worse I've found for miniatures. Spraying weekly or even twice a week sometimes isn't always very effective. A drier summertime and the disease isn't as bad. The leaves staying wet overnight causes the problem. Insects aren't a real problem for me other than aphids in the spring, and they are easily controlled with mild insecticide. A spray with soapy water a few times a week will usually repel them away.
Check out the photos on my Facebook page to see a lot of my roses over the years. You'll also see the black spots and not so attractive foliage but the flowers themselves look pretty good haha. Good luck.

Ask a Question