My miniature rose changed color!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The weirdest thing happened!:eek:
I think that most of you remember this rose: https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/pink-and-green-rose.3110/
After all its flowers had faded, I transplanted it to a bigger pot. Recently, it developed a new flower. To my surprise, it looks like this:

DSCF5271.JPG

It's bright orange!!! How is it possible that a rose with pink and green flowers started developing orange flowers?o_Oo_O

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe when you transplanted it you might have covered above the graft?

Reaction score
I had no idea roses would do that on an established plant. I know when you start plants from seed you often get mutants. Maybe there is a soil condition? Very cool.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Zigs - are miniature roses grafted? I didn't add any soil on the top of the roots. It's so weird!
Carolyn - I used the same soil that I always use for all my roses. The rest of them look normal.
Furniturebt - it really is! I have absolutely no idea what happened. But I loved the previous color of my rose:(

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That was just a wild stab in the dark Claudine, would guess they are as most other cultivated roses are.

Reaction score
That is kind of cool, it's a lovely color, so I hope you are no disappointed.

Yes, many cultivated roses are grafted. My mom had a rose bush that died back to the ground one year due something happening, I don't remember what, but it came back from the ground and was all wild and not at all like the bush that it once was because it was wild roots with a grafted bush. Unfortunately that didn't turn out to be a nice surprise for us, but yours still looks beautiful.

Reaction score
Wow, it used to be a light pink rose and now looks kinda yellowish :O By the way....nice picture, Clauds :) I wonder what color will the other roses be? What do you think of this new color, b the way? Like it or prefer the old one?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Zigs - I think that some of them are grafted. However, I managed to propagate a few roses from cuttings and I've never tried to graft them. Should I do it? They look normal and grow healthy.
Dancing Lady - thank you! I'm not disappointed, but I think that the previous color looked more unique.
Trellum - in real life it's bright orange, not just yellow;) It looks completely different! I like it, but I wouldn't worry if it developed a green-pink flower too.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If it's looking good then I wouldn't worry about it Claudine :)

Not sure why they graft Roses, i'm more into fruit and veg. Apple trees are grafted to restrict the final tree size.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Maybe they graft roses to make things more interesting:p This way, we never know what colors of roses we buy:LOL:
I wonder if there is any chance that my rose will develop green and pink flowers again.

Reaction score
It's surprising that the color changed, but it's still a really pretty rose. I like the vibrant orange color. I wonder if the color will change again at some point.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you, ACSAPA!:) I wonder about it too. On one hand, I like the new color, because it's pretty and I don't have any other orange roses. On the other hand, I loved pink and green flowers, they looked so unique!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love your miniature orange rose, @claudine and I am envied to see that window sill with all the plants there :) I would love to have one to just bring home more plants/flowers during the winter months.

Just a lovely rose among the green!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you! It's a window sill in my old room at my parents' house. Now, I'm living in an apartment and I have three large window sills, so I can grow even more plants:D It's a dream come true!

Ask a Question