I have tent caterpillars. They're cute.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just saw these on my buckthorn tree. In large quantities they can partially defoliate a tree, but I only have two colonies and they grow up to be fairly harmless and common moths. I like moths. So I'm happy they like it here and will be watching them grow up. :)

20160728_065234.jpg
20160728_065242.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've never seen anything like that before! I think there are tent caterpillars in the UK but I don't think they're very common. Interesting to see them at work!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We have a major outbreak of them here as well. Even though the tents can be a little unsightly, in the grand scheme of things they really don't do all that much damage. The only time one should be concerned is if they are setting up shop on a young sapling that you may have just planted. They will quickly defoliate it causing great stress, and possibly killing the young tree.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There are some in the uk, just can't find the pic I took at the moment :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yeah, they rarely do much harm, just don't look that pretty (look at all the poop they've generated already!) I've seen entire trees covered by the forest moths, looks awful but the tree survives (unless as @LIcenter says its a vulnerable sapling.)

Fun fact: adult moths, or most of them anyway, do not eat. They don't have mouths, just a proboscis. They do need fluid and some minerals; they are pollinators.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Think her name was Mariposa Behemoth.

Ask a Question