I have acquired raspberries!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I got a Raspberry Jewel (Rubus occidentalis) and a Raspberry Purple Royalty (Rubus X Neglectus) shoot? Stem? Cutting? from clearance at Walmart (because of course I did). The Royalty doesn't seem like it's doing great, it may have been too far gone, but when I took the Jewel out of the root bag, it had little suckers growing in the bag! So I'm hopeful about it surviving.

Does anyone have any advice about these particular types? Or warnings about what to avoid doing to them? Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I have no experience growing or caring for these, but I can tell you they will spread like wildfire all over the place if left to their own devices.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
1) Make sure you really want the raspberries where you plant them.
2) Make sure they fruit like you want them to.
3) A lawn mower will become your best friend to maintain the berry patch in one place.

I got some raspberries from my in-laws and grew them for three years into a nice looking green mound. It produced 3 berries in 2 years of flowering. I am now mowing and digging to remove them and will replace them in a few years with a good named cultivar.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got a Raspberry Jewel (Rubus occidentalis) and a Raspberry Purple Royalty (Rubus X Neglectus) shoot? Stem? Cutting? from clearance at Walmart (because of course I did). The Royalty doesn't seem like it's doing great, it may have been too far gone, but when I took the Jewel out of the root bag, it had little suckers growing in the bag! So I'm hopeful about it surviving.

Does anyone have any advice about these particular types? Or warnings about what to avoid doing to them? Thanks!
In my limited experience (3 years w/ rasberries and blackberries) I found they were difficult to manage and if you want any fruit they need to be covered from birds. Even though I had them in large containers and had a trellis setup they self rooted outside the containers and just made a mess. Pruning them was no help. I wound up giving them away.

Ask a Question