How long to recover from hollow tine aeration?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had our lawn aerated (hollow tine), as it looks like we've got badly compacted soil... which really became evident with the hot weather. It's really thinning (like my hair :eek:) and there are some huge brown areas.

I've been told not to add any top dressing yet, so that the grass can make the most of aeration - although I'm planning to add some in late Aug along with overseeding.

If you've had your lawn aerated, how long before you started to notice a difference?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Over 900 have viewed this post but no one has responded.:confused:

I have a terrace lawn which has never been replaced. I rake it up till the roots break and immediately sprinkle soil over it. It has never let me down. It is indeed a small patch but breaking roots and then covering with soil should work for any size.

This is an old picture.

terrace lawn.jpg

Currently the grass is over grown (Bermuda grass) and I like it that way.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks grouie :).

The difference in our lawn has been quite dramatic since we had it aerated in 2013, there still a few thinning patches - but the grass is under a big yew tree so we're lucky to have any at all :D.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Thanks grouie :).

The difference in our lawn has been quite dramatic since we had it aerated in 2013, there still a few thinning patches - but the grass is under a big yew tree so we're lucky to have any at all :D.
Aeration is the key.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any chance of a picture please Ian? :)

Sure! Here's one from a few minutes ago :). Excuse the bare patch at the back of the garden, I've pulled up an overgrown laurel hedge and I'm just waiting for a cable puller to get rid of the roots :D

DSC_0330.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry Ian I need to fire more questions at you......:)

1. What type of soil do you have?
2. I can't see the brown patches in the picture, is it dry or could it be moss?
3. I don't understand why you've been told not to top dress, it usually follows hollow tining to keep the soil open?

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Sheal, the first post was from a couple of years ago and resurrected - so this is the results of the aeration a couple of years on. Sorry, I should have mentioned :D.

I had a look for some "before" pictures, but couldn't find any.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Oops! I'm sorry Ian, it's unlike me not to check the posting date, I'm half asleep obviously! :) So there's no need for my questions and I must say your lawn looks pretty good to me. (y)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, it has really come back from the dead since we moved in - I thought we were going to just have a 4m diameter of mulch around the tree at one point ;)

Ask a Question