House plants that provide the greatest level of air purification

Reaction score
Thanks for this information. I've been wanting to get more plants indoors to promote a better living environment. I will be on the lookout for these in the future.

Reaction score
You don't like the Spider Plant? What's not to like about this gorgeous plant? Those are rhetorical questions Pat, as you have every right not to like this plant. I just think they are so beautiful. I have two spider plants but both are pretty small. The smaller one actually came from the larger one. I have one upstairs in my bedroom (the larger of the two) and another one downstairs in the foyer. If these plants grow larger, that's when they really are beautiful .. like the image below:

spider-plant-001.jpg

Dude, that spider plant is gorgeous. Wow, I don't think I've ever seen one that fluffy. You are super talented when it comes to this indoor gardening stuff.
I unfortunately killed a spider plant once by over watering it. Maybe I'll try again and go easier on the water next time.

Reaction score
Yes, I have an Aloe Vera plant. I like this list though because one or two of them I haven't heard of. I am a big fan of house plants :). Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Here's a list I compiled of some of the top house plants that clean the air. Do you have any of these plants inside your home? Can you think of a few more that should be on this list?
  1. Aloe Vera
  2. Areca Palm Tree
  3. Bamboo Palm
  4. Boston Fern
  5. Chrysanthemum
  6. Date Palm Tree
  7. Dragon Tree
  8. English Ivy
  9. Ficus Alii
  10. Heart leaf philodendron
  11. Janet Craig – Dracaena
  12. Lady Palm
  13. Peace Lilly
  14. Philodendrons
  15. Rubber Plant
  16. Snake Plant/Mother-in-Laws Tongue
  17. Spider Plant

I have #16, the snake plant... for a variety of reasons. I love the look of this plant. After seeing them used in many places of employment found they can take a beating. Being an air cleanser was the last bit of info I found out about and a big bonus... I used to be a smoker [6 months smoke-free]... so I kept at least one in every room. Another that is good for cleansing the air is the 'pothos'... it is along the philodendron line... but has lots of variety and is very hardy.:) Om57

Reaction score
Thanks for this list Taskeinc. I do not have any of these plants currently but I have heard lots about them working.
My grandmother always had spider plants all around her house so they remind me of her and I think they would be a good choice as they are not hard to maintain :)
I heard that Peace Lillies can be hard to keep? Is this true? I am not sure where I heard this from but do they require a lot of sunlight? I'd really love to have one in my house.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This list is good to know! I love bamboo. They are one of my favorite house plants. Although they are very easy to grow I find they need a lot of water and sunlight. I typically keep mine in a vase of water and some rocks. It grows pretty fast and over I need to tie the stalks up so they don’t fall over. I especially think the curly stalks add character to any room.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
All of these are good. Just try to avoid those with flowers. I had some allergies that i was not aware of until my violets started to blossom. Yucca plant is now my favourite and i have it all around the house. I had some great pictures but i cannot find the for some reason. Anyway, i also have some silverish plants with small leaves and they look very nice and useful for this purpose. Beside that i have some cactuses and one asparagus.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I have some aloe Vera trees and the peace lily in my house. I don't plan to add more since the living room is a bit small. These plants are useful since they take in carbon dioxide and produce oxygen.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an aloe plant and about to take over care of my mom's Lady Palm. I've been told my Money Tree and Golden Pothos are also good air purifiers! My apartment probably has the cleanest air around

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is not only indoors plants take out air pollution. I remember a study of the air quality either side of a thick, tall, privet hedge bordering a busy road. I can't remember the actual figures, but it was only a fraction of the pollution got through. Anyone who has cut such a hedge can probably vouch for it, worth wearing a good quality mask for the job.

Ask a Question