House plants that provide the greatest level of air purification

Reaction score
Here's a list I compiled of some of the top house plants that clean the air. Do you have any of these plants inside your home? Can you think of a few more that should be on this list?
  1. Aloe Vera
  2. Areca Palm Tree
  3. Bamboo Palm
  4. Boston Fern
  5. Chrysanthemum
  6. Date Palm Tree
  7. Dragon Tree
  8. English Ivy
  9. Ficus Alii
  10. Heart leaf philodendron
  11. Janet Craig – Dracaena
  12. Lady Palm
  13. Peace Lilly
  14. Philodendrons
  15. Rubber Plant
  16. Snake Plant/Mother-in-Laws Tongue
  17. Spider Plant

Reaction score
I think you've got it relatively covered, from what I know. I've always kept Spider Plants around my house for air cleansing. I've heard that they are actually one of the best. I don't think I've ever managed to kill one lol, and they keep sending off runners, so I can always easily start some more for other rooms!

Reaction score
I have considered investing in an air purification system since my son has asthma. However, I may need invest in a few house plants instead. Thanks for sharing! :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have the peace lily, the rubber tree plant and the snake plant in my home. I have never cared for the spider plant plant for some reason, so it is a plant I would not purchase or keep if someone gave it to me.

Reaction score
I have the peace lily, the rubber tree plant and the snake plant in my home. I have never cared for the spider plant plant for some reason, so it is a plant I would not purchase or keep if someone gave it to me.
You don't like the Spider Plant? What's not to like about this gorgeous plant? Those are rhetorical questions Pat, as you have every right not to like this plant. I just think they are so beautiful. I have two spider plants but both are pretty small. The smaller one actually came from the larger one. I have one upstairs in my bedroom (the larger of the two) and another one downstairs in the foyer. If these plants grow larger, that's when they really are beautiful .. like the image below:

spider-plant-001.jpg

Reaction score
I have a few of those plants on the list at home..
Aloe Vera
Areca Palm Tree
Boston Fern
Chrysanthemum
English Ivy
Heart leaf philodendron
Peace Lilly
Philodendrons
Rubber Plant
Spider Plant
Although i do not have Ficus Alii which is a new cultivar I have ficus benjamina and bejamina starlight at home. I do not have Janet Craig – Dracaena but do have other dracenas. My rubber plant has grown too big abnd I have to donate it to the apartment garden.. I might want to get the snake plant sometime.. I actually do not care too much for it.. i owned one which I gave away to a friend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing this list, Taskeinc. I find it really interesting. I had no idea that English Ivy is so good at cleaning the air. I wish I could grow it indoors, it's such a beautiful plant!:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have to get another spider plant .Mine was destroyed when I had my cats they used to play with all the babies hanging down .They passed away so now is the time to get a new one .

Reaction score
Wow I learned something new early today! Thanks a bunch for posting this very useful information!

I've been debating for the last year or so on buying an air purifying system for my home. If I would do the same with plants then im all for that! I love plants. Just have a hard time keeping plants all season in my house. In the winter I like it nice and warm and cozy and I know at times that isn't good for many plants. Im a newbie not only to this site..but to gardening in general- but I love it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
plus plants don't run your electric bill up and don't need expensive filters and are cheaper than a big air cleaner and never heard a plant make noise :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I find low light plants work great in bathrooms and also air plants work great in bathrooms where it gets steamy .I bought 15 air plants from ebay and they are now 20 plants .5 new babies

Reaction score
I think spider plants are lovely, and one of the few types of plants that I have had good luck taking care of. It's good to know that these plants help with air purification. I have been wanting to buy a few of those air purification things for my house, but like someone else said, maybe I don't have to if I just follow this list. :)

Reaction score
Are spider plants considered a low light plant? I have to get low light because I don't have many windows :eek:

Spider plants require light watering. Allow the soil to dry completely in between watering. Water about once every two weeks. If you begin to see black on the leaves you're over-watering the plant. If leaves begin to break off, the plant either needs watering or re-potting. Allow water to sit at least 24 hours, or boil water first (allow to cool) then water your plant. Chemicals in water are not good for us, not good for plants. Although many plants can survive on tap water.

Do not place your Spider plant in direct sunlight. Indirect sun is best. If the leaves begin turning brown, move the plant out of direct sun light. Keep at least 6-7 feet from a window and you shouldn't have any problems (view the location of the Spider plant in the image above, it looks to be 5-7 feet from the window). Spider plants can be finicky at first, but when you find a good spot for it, give it what it wants, it will start to grow and become one of your more lovelier house plants.

Reaction score
Spider plants require light watering. Allow the soil to dry completely in between watering. Water about once every two weeks. If you begin to see black on the leaves you're over-watering the plant. If leaves begin to break off, the plant either needs watering or re-potting. Allow water to sit at least 24 hours, or boil water first (allow to cool) then water your plant. Chemicals in water are not good for us, not good for plants. Although many plants can survive on tap water.

Do not place your Spider plant in direct sunlight. Indirect sun is best. If the leaves begin turning brown, move the plant out of direct sun light. Keep at least 6-7 feet from a window and you shouldn't have any problems (view the location of the Spider plant in the image above, it looks to be 5-7 feet from the window). Spider plants can be finicky at first, but when you find a good spot for it, give it what it wants, it will start to grow and become one of your more lovelier house plants.

I've learned so much from this post! Thanks sooo much for sharing the knowledge! My mother has a spider plant and at times I would see the ends of the leaves turning black..didn't know it was from over watering- will definitely share that with mom so she knows.

Ask a Question