Homemade bread

Reaction score
Country
Australia
After the first rise, I would pound it down, roll it out some, not too thin, sprinkle shredded cheese all on it, roll it up like a roll, tuck it, let rise again , then bake it.
Thanks for that.
I had my first failure because the night breezes came through my windows a bit too cold and the first proofing (first rise?) failed because I put the yeast to rise on the kitchen benchtop. So, in the cold weather where can the dough proof/rise over night?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I guess the obvious spot is by the fireplace. Apart from that? - we don't always have fires in autumn or spring.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I regularly make sourdough - usually two loaves at a time.
I just saw these at my local supermarket, and they sell for $10AUS. (approx. $7US) and they don't look any better than yours. They are about the most expensive bread available.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Thanks for that.
I had my first failure because the night breezes came through my windows a bit too cold and the first proofing (first rise?) failed because I put the yeast to rise on the kitchen benchtop. So, in the cold weather where can the dough proof/rise over night?
As I really do not know what your house looks like to answer that. Where I put my dough to rise is in a small bedroom, a foot from the radiator behind a solid chair on the floor, it is in a bowl, with a huge plastic bag over the whole thing. So there is no cold breeze etc. And if you say, well I have pets, then close the door.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
As I really do not know what your house looks like to answer that. Where I put my dough to rise is in a small bedroom, a foot from the radiator behind a solid chair on the floor, it is in a bowl, with a huge plastic bag over the whole thing. So there is no cold breeze etc. And if you say, well I have pets, then close the door.
I have a lot of north facing windows, but most have pots growing the autumn seedlings. My only heater is a wood slow combustion stove. I think a side table by one of those warm windowsills might be the answer. I will probably have to place a plate over the top to prevent anything from entering. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have a lot of north facing windows, but most have pots growing the autumn seedlings. My only heater is a wood slow combustion stove. I think a side table by one of those warm windowsills might be the answer. I will probably have to place a plate over the top to prevent anything from entering. Thanks again.
I bought a box of the huge zip lock plastic bags, its large enough to go over a large bowl, and get zipped. I use the bag over and over again as the dough does not rise way over to stick to the bag. I think the box has 10 bags in it. But that keeps the moisture in as well as blocking it from any breeze.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sourdough making is a bit different from regular yeast breast - well, actually a lot different. There are lots of secret, myths and steps that some people say are the only way to do it. BS. Remember that the wagon train pioneers and cowboy chuck wagon cooks made it all the time under who knows what conditions. I boiled it down to the essentials. The only "magic" steps I have found to be basic requirements are maintaining your starter, stretching instead of kneading, a long slow proof/rise - in the fridge for about 12 hours works best - and slash to let it split and expand (where you want to) while baking. I don't even rise and then proof again - it's not necessary. Only 3 ingredients - unbleached flour, water and a little bit of salt, plus the natural wild yeasts in the stater of course. I have even forgotten the salt and no one really noticed - I only use 1/2 to 1 tsp per loaf anyway (Sea or Kosher). I use bread flour, our son in law uses regular AP flour, both seem to work fine. I have found that keeping the starter thick works best for feeding and maintaining. Mine is almost too thick to whisk in the flour and water when feeding it. It also slows it down so it doesn't need feeding every day. I wake up some starter in the morning with some flour and water (or early afternoon if I put it in the oven on 95F bread proof setting). When it's nice ad frothy and rising, make the dough around 6 -8 pm in the stand mixer- only 5 min with the dough hook. Stretch and rest 4 times over 2 hours. Shape it, put in the proofing basket - or towel lined bowl - stick it in the fridge overnight. Transfer to cast iron Dutch ovens the next morning with parchment paper lining the bottom. Let them come to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 450F. Put a pan of boiling on the shelf below. Slash the tops, replace the lids and bake 20 min, remove lids for10 min, reduce to 420F and bake 20 in more. Turns out perfect. I haven't even had to wash the Dutch ovens for months. For additions, like garlic, cheese, olives, etc. I add during the stretching and they get folded in evenly - plus they don't get smushed down to nothing. Herbs and such are best added to the dry flour. (I mostly make it plain.) The actual hands on time is a lot less than you would think once you get the routine down and I make a batch every week.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Remember that the wagon train pioneers and cowboy chuck wagon cooks made it all the time under who knows what conditions.
That's a good description of simple necessity. Thanks for that description of sour dough bread making. Most of us fear the challenge of keeping the sourdough alive for years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@cntrlwagdnr would love to get into sourdough bread making, if anything just for the experience. But, we are not major bread eaters here. And skinny husband the worse. Even regular homemade bread goes to waste with him, he may eat very few slices, and certainly I do not need the calories.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I mixed good Bread for years then they started a brew and add flour. Which is what you get today. It is nasty, Roman Meal wouldn't have it.

I can make Bread but it isn't like I use to make. 1,000 pounds at a time.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
@cntrlwagdnr would love to get into sourdough bread making, if anything just for the experience. But, we are not major bread eaters here. And skinny husband the worse. Even regular homemade bread goes to waste with him, he may eat very few slices, and certainly I do not need the calories.
Sourdough has a good taste to me and you can make so many things with it.

I would get fat but I use to mix dough for Donuts and was told I could eat all I wanted but you get burt out on them fast.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Fireside season is starting here with temperatures down to 5C (41F) so I will start making again and that starter yeast will be first on the agenda. The wood fire keeps warm overnight to give me the proofing area I'm currently lacking.

Ask a Question