Homemade pasta sauce !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Finally got enough Romas harvested to make red sauce!

Attachments

• IMG_9071.jpeg
    IMG_9071.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8968.jpeg
    IMG_8968.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We've struggled making sauce from scratch. Ends up too acidic. Like science experiment acidic, it's fun throwing a tablespoon of baking soda on and watching it fizzle.

Got any hints?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Haha yeah the baking soda sizzle reminds me of those candy pop rocks!
And yes in fact my grandma taught me to use carrots to cut the acidity. You can incorporate them into the sauce in thin slices ( yum) or just toss in a few large chunks and let it simmer on low a few hours and then remove the carrot chunks.
I’ve never used sugar in mine but I know some people use sugar ( white or brown) to reduce acidity.
Another tip I’ve learned is to only use very ripe Romas. I roast mine and then toss them in a bowl of ice to peel the skins off ( the skin can make the sauce bitter)
Also! Toss in a pat of butter for a smooth creamy balanced sauce.
Over the years I’ve sort of adopted and adapted and came up with my own recipe.
Lots of fresh herbs and garlic, onion, a splash of Worcestershire , pepper flakes ( if you like a bit of heat) Serrano , roasted red pepper, carrots, celery salt ( my preference).
Now I’m hungry! Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We've struggled making sauce from scratch. Ends up too acidic. Like science experiment acidic, it's fun throwing a tablespoon of baking soda on and watching it fizzle.

Got any hints?
I love acidic tomatoes which is always a red tomato. Pink, orange, and yellow is less acidic from what I see. Is there a pinkish tomato for canning?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Some acidity is fine and expected. But we had one batch that etched an aluminum pot. Generally we use a mix of reds and yellows.

We've tried carrots, potatoes, sugar, baking powder, and many other things with little success. Meats seemed to have worked best.

One thing we have done over the years that we are going to not do this year is freeze the tomatoes. Previously we would harvest tomatoes, chunk them and freeze them until we had time to cook and can. The wife changed jobs this year and now we can get things done as we get enough for a couple quarts. We now have weekends off together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States

Got any hints?
Carrots and onions will kill the acid.

BTW, North East Ohio, I lived in Macedonia, Ohio for a while. Heading through that area soon on a trip, will be staying in Mason, Ohio, and Breaksville, Ohio. When in Breakesville, I am getting to my favoirte Jewish deli, Corkey and Lennies. @Ruderunner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There's a Corky and Lenny's about 20 minutes from me in Chagrin.

Ever been to the original Slymans? Get 2 Reubens and an extra loaf of bread. Or Steve's gyros at the west side market.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
There's a Corky and Lenny's about 20 minutes from me in Chagrin.

Ever been to the original Slymans? Get 2 Reubens and an extra loaf of bread. Or Steve's gyros at the west side market.
Yep, that's the one. Corky and Lenny's I will be there on September 12th for breakfast, and pick up some goodies for the road. Used to go there all the time. They have the best Jewish food. I left Ohio when I was about 29 years old, only explored Corky and Lenny's, no time on this trip out to explore anything else. Just want to stand in Corky and Lenny's and breath in the awesome smells. Sometime I have them mail me food. So if you want a meet up let me know, it will be a tight window as we got to get moving , driving to Vermont for a car show. Meeting up with a friend in Buffalo, NY for lunch.

Ask a Question