Homemade bread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You probably seen for sale Bisquick, its a form of self rising flour, just compare the ingredients. Anyway, a box of that on hand with some buttermilk and couple eggs makes good pancakes, or biscuits.
My whole reason to make bread is to try to avoid the extra unnecessary ingredients in these kinds of mixes.

As for adding cheese, or cheese and chopped spring onions or peppers, for a quick job I would simply add a handful of chopped/grated bits to the batter of the two ingredient bread previous, just like @Meadowlark did with the jalapenos.
For yeasty bread, do the same - just throw it in. Sprinkle a little grated cheese on the top with some sesame seeds.
As previously said, experiment and have some fun.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pancakes and biscuits sound good. There's a lot to baking isn't there?
Not in this house. I've always spent as little time in the kitchen as possible, too much to do outside. I suppose I've spent horribly more time indoors this winter since I've been ill. It's preferable to doing nothing 😇

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Okay - does this poolish have the same flour as the main bread? To be honest I have no plans for a home sour dough. Are you using sour dough?
Same flour and same water as you would normally use. This is not a sour dough and you don't have to feed and care for it like a sour dough, but it can give some of the tangy boozy sour flavors that a sour dough can have.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear Mr Yan, I'm not sure I fancy tangy boozy or sour with my toast :unsure: Maybe I should make an effort and try it ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
My whole reason to make bread is to try to avoid the extra unnecessary ingredients in these kinds of mixes.
We travel quiet a bit. Taking a small container of this type of mix, and add one egg and some milk makes for easy pancakes for breakfast where we are staying. When at home I also reframe from the mixes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We travel quiet a bit. Taking a small container of this type of mix, and add one egg and some milk makes for easy pancakes for breakfast where we are staying. When at home I also reframe from the mixes.
Refraining from eating rubbish at home and then using it when travelling seems to be a bit contrary to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Refraining from eating rubbish at home and then using it when travelling seems to be a bit contrary to me.
Then I guess you pack your whole kitchen when you travel. Or when you travel you ask the server exactly what ingredients are in the dish you order and it is farm raised with no hormones, correct? Or you do not travel?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am having trouble imagining a cheese bread. How do you incorporate the cheese? Can we have the recipe please. I'm a beginner and have no idea of what a quick bread with no yeast would be like.
You do not have to add baking powder, which is a leavening that occurs with heat, or baking soda and an acid like buttermilk which also gets gassy rather immediately- but it is nice. I like the baking powder if the dough sits around first.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You do not have to add baking powder, which is a leavening that occurs with heat, or baking soda and an acid like buttermilk which also gets gassy rather immediately- but it is nice. I like the baking powder if the dough sits around first.
For goodness sake Dirt he/she wants to know how to put the cheese in :rolleyes: I just stick it in, grated, with the flour.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I regularly make sourdough - usually two loaves at a time.

Attachments

• 20240316_103205[1].jpg
    20240316_103205[1].jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Picked up a bag of White Lily flour, suppose to be special. Anyway, it was on sale in N. C. store. When I get home will use it.

How I would put cheese in a Yeast bread---After the first rise, I would pound it down, roll it out some, not too thin, sprinkle shredded cheese all on it, roll it up like a roll, tuck it, let rise again , then bake it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Picked up a bag of White Lily flour, suppose to be special. Anyway, it was on sale in N. C. store. When I get home will use it.

How I would put cheese in a Yeast bread---After the first rise, I would pound it down, roll it out some, not too thin, sprinkle shredded cheese all on it, roll it up like a roll, tuck it, let rise again , then bake it.
That sounds like a better idea. I shall give it a go!

Ask a Question