Help identifying plants in my new yard, please.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Is this some sort of wild garlic or onion?
100_5727.JPG

I hope somebody sees something familiar here.

100_5728.JPG
100_5729.JPG
100_5730.JPG
100_5732.JPG
100_5733.JPG
100_5734.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The first pic is a type of lily called Crow Poison. The second pic is a wild verbena. The third pic I don't know but it all over my place. The fifth pic is a variety of yucca, this one very young, in Texas called a Cow Killer. The sixth pic is an agarita bush. The last pic I don't know the name of either but I have it all over the place. It stays evergreen and makes a very nice bush. Crow Poison is a PITA. It will come up everywhere. Dig it up and there will be a bulb that looks like an onion. Invasive but doesn't really hurt anything. The verbena has a pretty purple flower but is invasive and will take over your garden if you let it. The yucca is also very invasive and difficult to get rid of. Try to remove it ASAP while it is still young. It grows from a tuber like thing. The agarita is a great plant. The berries make a great jelly and the roots, stems and branches make a brilliant yellow dye if you are into that sort of thing

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
What a wonderful selection of photographs, including several choice Texas native plants. Hopefully, you did not remove those from your garden ...but if so, at least there are pictures to remember them by. I wasn't able to identify all of the plants. Hopefully others more familiar with the Texas flora will have a chance to take a look.

First photo: This white lily-like plant is actually one of Texas' native Rain-lilies (Zephyranthes spp.). It looks most similar to Zephyranthes chlorosolen (formerly Cooperia drummondii). The bulb known as Crowpoison (Nothoscordum bivalve) is also native to Teas, but the flowers look quite different and are arranged in umbels.

Second photo: This shows several different plants. I will just mention Common Ragweed (Ambrosia artemisiifolia), which is the plant with the intricately cut leaves in the lower left of the frame. Yes, it is a North American and Texan native plant with beautiful foliage, but I suspect many allergy sufferers will feel quite unmoved by its charms.

Third photo: This might be a weedy Tobacco (Nicotiana sp.). I'm not sure.

Fourth photo: I don't know.

Fifth Photo: This is Twist-leaf Yucca (Yucca rupicola).

Sixth Photo: Agarita or Chaparral Barberry (Alloberberis trifoliolata, fromerly Berberis trifoliolata or Mahonia trifoliolata). This wonderfully blue and prickly shrub makes a striking specimen for dryland gardens. I grow a related species from southern California (Alloberberis nevinii) in my own garden. Both of these shrubs are among a group of several xeric-adapted barberries from North America that have been segregated from Mahonia into the genus Alloberberis due to phylogenetic evidence from molecular data.

Seventh Photo: This might be Gum Bully (Sideroxylon lanuginosum), in the Chicle Family (Sapotaceae).

Last edited:

Ask a Question