Hello

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hello everyone I am new to this forum and recently taken an interest in getting back to gardening. I have some large trees which I have no idea what they are and would appreciate your help in identifying them. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

Here is a picture of one of my tress which is a very large tree and if you can see it looks like two trees from the leaves. Some have a yellow edging on them and others are plain green.

Attachments

• My Trees 009.JPG
    My Trees 009.JPG
    276.9 KB · Views: 287
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum!

there are a lot of knowledgeable people here who might be able to help. Unfortunately I am one of the less knowledgeable and cannot help, sorry!

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Thank you for your welcome and reply. Yes you are right. Reading through some of the threads I'm hoping someone will tell me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Sue!

Not a tree expert either especially NZ or Tasmania but maybe a photo of the bark, a close up of the leaves and if you've observed any berries, blossoms, seed pods etc, would help.

Looks very lush whatever it is. :)

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Thanks Beth. Yes every year it looks like this. It looses it's leaves in the Autumn and boy what a job to gather up the leaves. Very lucky to have neighbours that don't complain. Not to me anyway lol. In the spring it has these very fine tassel like flowers I suppose they are flowers which attracts the bees. They all fall off and as you see it turns into this wonderful luscious big shade tree.. Here's a picture of its trunk.

Attachments

• My Trees 019.JPG
    My Trees 019.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 310
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well it seems like you have lived with this tree for a number of years so have you asked any of your neighbors? Or as suggested previously taken a branch I to a local nursery, or done a Google image search on trees native to your region?

If you have done none of these yet I suggest you start there..

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Here are some close ups of the leaves and bark unfortunately I can't give a picture of the tassel like flowers they have all gone

Attachments

• More trees 001.JPG
    More trees 001.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 259
  • More trees 002.JPG
    More trees 002.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 301
  • More trees 003.JPG
    More trees 003.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 299
  • More trees 004.JPG
    More trees 004.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 247
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Thank you for your advice...I haven't done any of the things you have suggested. Many of my visitors have asked about the tree as they hadn't seen one either. It's only now that I've decided to take an interest in gardening again that I thought I would raise it as a topic. I have another tree with the same quandary. Haven't got a clue what it is but they both provide wonderful shade in the back yard. Once the flowers have all fallen off it has beautiful green leaves. The branches are bare and they have these tuffs of green leaves at the end where all the flowers are. A lovely tree too.

Attachments

• My Trees 010.JPG
    My Trees 010.JPG
    359 KB · Views: 268
  • My Trees 011.JPG
    My Trees 011.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 273
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Thank you for your welcome Fernsdaddy. The first tree with the green leaves is about 30 meters high and the second tree is higher still.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Hello Sue,
Your tree looks good. You are really one of the large fraternity that participate in ensuring our environment go green. You are stopping global warming.

Ask a Question