Good ideas for using Cucumbers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Vegetable cream cheese is something that my boyfriend would love, I'm sure of it. He loves vegetable juices. Do you have a recipe? I'd love to try to make it for him!:)

Reaction score
I also like the idea of vegetable cream cheese. This sounds wonderful. I, too, would welcome a recipe if anybody has one. What a great way to use up extra cucumbers. I like to just slice them up and eat them with pepper and vinegar. Cucumbers served this way can be a quick and tasty snack.

Reaction score
I juice a lot of my cucumbers. They are mostly water and the juice is so light and refreshing, I love it. I will mix it with some peaches or carrots on occasion, but normally I will drink it by itself. That is my favorite thing to do with cucumbers.

Reaction score
I love eating my home grown cucumbers. I slice them up into chunks and stick them in a bowl. Then I add Italian dressing and garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper. I put a lid on the bowl and put it in the fridge. After an hour or so, I make sure it is nice and cold and then I dig in! It is an amazing flavor. I would say that it is best after it has sat in the fridge overnight. It gives the seasonings time to really get sucked in. I have eaten an entire cucumber at a time this way! It is to die for. So delicious!

Reaction score
I love making pickles from cucumbers and eating them plain or in salads. I really love dipping them in Italian dressing and munching the crap outta them!

They're also great for putting on your eyes. I also like filling up a pitcher with water and adding lots of sliced cucumbers. They add a deliciously natural and light taste.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great information. I like my cucumbers in my salad or just snacking on them as I am cutting them up for the salad. Now that I know they are so healthy I will eat more cucumbers and use them in as a deterent for slugs in my yard.

Reaction score
I love using cucumbers in water for detoxing! It's so good! I usually let it sit over night so that all nutrients are in the water it self. This summer i plan on planting lots of cucumbers for this reason!

Reaction score
If you have a juicer, there are a lot of good juice recipes that include cucumber as an ingredient. Cucumber is so watery that it's good as an ingredient in juice and green smoothies.

Reaction score
I just saw some interesting ways to make cucumber on Pinterest. You can dip cucumber slices in batter and deep fry them, like green tomatoes.
You can also julienne cucumbers and stir fry them in oyster sauce. Celery is also amazing stir fried.

Reaction score
Awesome! I didn't know cucumbers had so many good uses! I will definitely keep using it on my tired eyes ;) It seems using a slice of cucumber on my eyes actually does the trick :) Glad to hear isn't only me :D

Reaction score
Cucumbers are one of my favorite veggies to not only eat but to grow. They had a fresh flavor to tuna or chicken salad, especially when I add dill. Thanks to all who contributed recipes and links, lots of good info to read up on.

Reaction score
A few years ago I planted five cucumber seedlings and had a harvest of almost 7 kg. They just kept coming and coming and after the third lot I thought that's it, but no, more followed. I made many jars of pickle, used them in salads, gave them to my neighbours (they were begging me: no more cucumbers, please!), I used them on my skin, I juiced them with parsley and beetroot. It was a real cucumber feast!

Reaction score
A few years ago I planted five cucumber seedlings and had a harvest of almost 7 kg. They just kept coming and coming and after the third lot I thought that's it, but no, more followed. I made many jars of pickle, used them in salads, gave them to my neighbours (they were begging me: no more cucumbers, please!), I used them on my skin, I juiced them with parsley and beetroot. It was a real cucumber feast!

What a wonderful problem to have. I think it would be awesome if someone would create a charity where they drove a truck around to collect people's garden surplus and give it to needy families. In the US, there are a lot of kids growing up in "food insecure" households where they can't count on always having food in the house because their parents don't make a lot of money. Someone's excessive zucchini or mangoes or whatever would be a blessing to a poor family.

I guess another option would be listing it in the "free section" of Craigslist and seeing if anyone wants to pick up a free bag of cucumbers.

Ask a Question