Good ideas for using Cucumbers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I found this article about the many different things that cucumbers are helpful for, and it also talks about the health benefits of cucumbers.
I have always enjoyed the taste of a fresh cucumber, either sliced, or just chopped up into my salad, but I had no idea how healthy and full of important vitamins and minerals they are.
And it also says they are almost like a mini-facelift when applied to your face, to reduce wrinkles.
Here is the link to the cucumber article :

http://www.realfarmacy.com/13-uses-for-cucumbers-that-will-amaze-you/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Great links, you two....I had no idea, cucumbers could be used in so many ways . I don't think I'm a fan of using cucumbers for cleaning for some reason but I guess its good to know they can be.....And the cucumber relish sounds great. My roommate would especially love this:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for the links:)
I love cucumber! It's one of the most delicious vegetables. I also love pickles:D
Anyway, I often put a few fresh cucumber slices on my face, it really does brighten up the skin.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the useful links! I have several in my refrigerator that my brother grew and i was unsure of what to do with the. There is only so much summer salad I can eat!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's really interesting! I also like cucumber in Pimms or Gin & Tonic - so it's good to read that they also help prevent a hangover! ;)

Reaction score
When I was in Turkey some years back we had the option of paying for a "Full English" or a Turkish breakfast as part of the package. I plumbed for the Turkish breakfast.Fresh cucumber quarters six inches long, fresh quartered tomatoes, hard boiled egg, toast and tea or coffee. A lovely refreshing breakfast on a hot sunny day.

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas! I had no idea cucumbers were so versetile. I'm going to have to try the one with the pie tin for sure; I have so many slugs in my garden its getting out of hand. I've been removing them slowly but surely, but hopefully this speeds things up so they don't have time to eat the leaves on my lemon trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I found this article about the many different things that cucumbers are helpful for, and it also talks about the health benefits of cucumbers.

Here is the link to the cucumber article :

http://www.realfarmacy.com/13-uses-for-cucumbers-that-will-amaze-you/

I've never been much of a salad eater but I've recently started making cucumber soup and just had it for lunch, so the timing of my seeing this is really good.

I'll give cucumber a try for cleaning and I also like the idea of using it to drive away garden pests. I wonder whether it will drive away over kinds of pests besides grubs and slugs. It may be expecting a bit much, but it doesn't cost much to try.

Reaction score
Definitely one of my favorite veggies. My marketmore plant is finally starting to produce! Can't wait until I'm able to harvest. I planted it a bit late so I'll probably only 5-6 mature cucumbers out of it...but still worth it!

Reaction score
Excellent links. I use cukes in a lot of dishes but those were some that I've never tried. I love cucumbers so the more ways that I have to make them the better! Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ACSAPA, thank you for posting this link, cucumber water sounds yummy. I've never been to a spa, but I'd like to try it:);) It will be a perfect drink for summer! I'm wondering what would it taste like if I added chocolate mint to it.

Reaction score
ACSAPA, thank you for posting this link, cucumber water sounds yummy. I've never been to a spa, but I'd like to try it:);) It will be a perfect drink for summer! I'm wondering what would it taste like if I added chocolate mint to it.

It would probably taste pretty good since mint and cucumber are a good flavor combination.

Another use I remembered for excess cucumbers is veggie cream cheese. The bagel place near me mixes cream cheese with scallions and julienned carrots and cucumbers to make vegetable cream cheese. That would be another good way to use up those cucumbers.

Ask a Question