Fungus Gnat Prevention

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
Hey, I've struggled with fungus gnats in the past and they were an absolute nightmare to have as pests.

This year I started Calendula, Chamomille, and Sunflower seeds indoors. I also managed to propagate two store-bought plants of mint. Calendula and Chamomille seeds have already emerged and the mints are maybe one week or two away from planting in soil but I'm afraid of having gnats, especially in the early spring months.

I came to the conclusion that BTI and Mosquito Dunks are the way to go in battling gnats but I've searched and found none in my area. I've heard that sand might work but it might also cause root rot.

Do you have any suggestions on preventing gnats?

Thank you

PS: If you want to have a look at what I can get my hands on, I will leave two links here: https://www.homegardencyprus.com/en/ and https://superhome.com.cy/

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Peroxide, the weaker, house hold one, not strong commercial stuff. Five of water to one of peroxide and use this to water your plants. The gnat larvae live in the compost, not on the plant. That dilute it will not harm the plant, and it is a simple enough chemical, it rapidly disintegrates to water and Oxygen, or an oxide, as harmless as anything is.

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
Peroxide, the weaker, house hold one, not strong commercial stuff. Five of water to one of peroxide and use this to water your plants. The gnat larvae live in the compost, not on the plant. That dilute it will not harm the plant, and it is a simple enough chemical, it rapidly disintegrates to water and Oxygen, or an oxide, as harmless as anything is.
I tried that last year. I got some from the pharmacy, mixed it with water, and watered it and it didn't do much.

I really appreciate the reply though. Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For seeds, seedlings and indoor plants I cook all my soil/ compost, slightly damp, in the microwave oven for two minutes, then leave it to cool for use. It's time consuming but it hasn't failed yet. :)
A great idea, but it requires some forward planning, not good for plants if they are already in:)
I am surprised the peroxide didn't work, did you keep up the use of it? If there are adults about they could be laying more eggs. Could the peroxide have been old stock that had lost a bit of oomph?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
All the soil is cooked before use so there aren't any plants to worry about from the start. Any plants that need potting on after will be transferred to newly cooked soil. if I buy plants already potted I automatically remove all the soil and soak the roots in a bucket of water for a minimum of two days, that will drown any larvae.

I've not used peroxide Oliver, that was another member.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A misunderstanding, the bit after the smiley was aimed at the OP who said he had tried it and it didn't work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I dot
For seeds, seedlings and indoor plants I cook all my soil/ compost, slightly damp, in the microwave oven for two minutes, then leave it to cool for use. It's time consuming but it hasn't failed yet. :)
I do that too. It kills the eggs embedded in the media. Boiling water or near boiling will also work.

Hydrogen peroxide hasn't worked for me either.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What will kill Larva from what is suggested will kill soil Microbs.

I planted Garlic in some plants I was concerned about. Plan on putting a Mint plant in.

Most Insects don't like Mint.

big rockpile

Ask a Question