Flowering Oregano: Leave Them or Remove Them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hello All!
I apologize if the answer to this is here somewhere, but my searching came up empty. The general inner-tube-web-net search reveals conflicting answers, as it does with everything.

Suddenly, my oregano has flowers on many of the branches. The plant is in a 10" pot outdoors and the tallest stem is perhaps 8" above the dirt surface.

Am I supposed to leave the flowers or cut them off? Are they edible?

Also, if I may sneak in another question, does one pick oregano and basil from the top or bottom? Again, the advice on the internet conflicts.

Thanks For Helping!
Paul

Reaction score
Country
United States
After the flower season is over, oregano goes dormant. That's your cue to cut back on the herb. The plant will come back in the spring with new stems and leaves. Google

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Bees love oregano flowers so I always let mine go to seed. It’s so easy to grow and spreads like crazy anyway so I always have fresh popping up somewhere in the garden for my own uses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank You To Each for helping! Thanks, too, for the good advice and suggestions.

Based on what Eeilee mentioned, I'll leave the flowers. I'd sure like to see more bees around here. They've been few for the last several years.

Enjoy Today!
Paul

Ask a Question