Flower identification

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone seen that winter flower that looks like a cabbage? I don’t know what it is called but I see it everywhere in the North east. It comes in purple and white. I will try to take a picture next time I see it.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Is it a decorative cabbage?

69417797.BJC5bqW0.0610280191.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They look so pretty! At first, I thought they're flowers.
Is decorative cabbage edible? I bet it would look lovely on a plate:D

Reaction score
Hahahaha, this one is new for me :p I had never seen it, no idea such a thing even existed. Very pretty and unique looking if you ask me :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
They're called Brassica oleracia and are normally called ornamental cabbage or ornamental kale.

They are edible but don't taste anywhere near as good as ordinary brassicas.

Seeds are very easily available through seed merchants. Over here a lot of local authorities use them to decorate roadsides and islands.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Over here a lot of local authorities use them to decorate roadsides and islands.

I recall seeing them for the first time when they were used for exactly that purpose in Japan. As with most cabbages I guess it has to be somewhere that has cool (ish) winters for them to look that colourful.

Ask a Question