Favourite Perennial Vegetables?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everybody,

What are everyone’s favourite perennial vegetables to grow? I’m starting a new perennial veg bed and want some ideas what to plant.

Thanks, Rob

Reaction score
Country
Australia
There's not many perennial vegetables - asparagus, strawberries, rhubarb, globe artichoke and maybe one or two others. If you're thinking of herbs, berries or fruit trees the story changes.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
My favorite...walking onions aka Egyptian onions. They are great for filling gaps in my Texas super sweet 1015 onions.

Another one I grow is Sunchokes aka Jerusalem artichokes. These are tasty and high producers but are also invasive, so I grow them in containers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
I grew walking onions in my old home, they are fantastic. I ended up with a nice big patch and they would just “walk” across the garden. If you look away they are off.

Jerusalem artichoke I tried once, not keen. It gave me really bad gas as the inulin levels are too high for me.

As for other perennial veg I’m not too sure, I’ve already got sea kale and sweet cicely. Rhubarb. I’m just looking for more as the bed is massive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We grow a lot of rhubarb here in Kent, it might not be a walking veg, but it sure keeps you on your toes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Asparagus - I just have to learn how to manage it and grow it well.

Rhubarb is just a poor filler used in baked goods with strawberries. Completely inedible. :LOL:

Ask a Question