Drought

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
About underground fires--we had part of our old barn taken down. The resulting soil was sandy (pigs were kept) and there was a lot of manure buried. One of the brilliant workers decided to burn some of the barn wood, making a burn pile in that area. We got an underground fire feeding on the manure. The other workers thought they had quenched the fire, but when I went out the next morning to feed the hens, there was smoke spouting out of a small vent. Two hours later, with lots of water and digging to expose the fire, we did get it out. When they came to work that morning they got an earful, and the offender got sent home.
So, beware of lightning, beware of cigarettes and fire pit coals, and beware of idiots!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It's so sad that the NW is extremely dry this year. The Olympic National Forest being on fire really jarred me cause I have never seen it catch on fire ever.

The Midwest has seen extremely large amounts of rainfall, breaking records all over the place. Most of the state's been flooded out and most of the crops have been ruined.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
We've been struggling with draught for a while now. The city has watering restrictions in place and brown lawns are the norm. But El Niño might be on its way in a few months which will provide some draught relief. We'll see...

Ask a Question