California Drought and Grass Growing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I live in California and right now we are in a drought, but I still have a pretty lush lawn. I wanted to share a few tips on how I keep my lawn looking green without spending any money to water it. So far we are using all of our laundry grey water on watering the lawn. I also keeping a few buckets in the shower and toss that water onto my grass. I have even kept some water bottles in my back yard so that when I have to wash my hands I do it outside and put that water to use instead of down the drain. I hope these tips helps anyone who is in California or anyone who wants to reduce their water bill!

Reaction score
I admire your conservation efforts, but am curious. Your area has been in the middle of an epic drought for years. What haven't you gotten rid of the lawn and converted to more drought tolerant landscaping?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
It is pretty dry in my region at this time as well. Don't know the last day I saw a shower of rain. Consequently, the lawn has been very dry. However, I do not worry to water the lawn at times like these. During the dry season we do not get a lot of weeds, thus eliminating the need for having to pull out weeds from among the plants or mowing the lawn. So, that is the positive side to all the dryness around, even though I like to see lush green lawns.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
This is really a sad state we are in. Even here in the Philippines, we are having grass fires in several mountains. Authorities say the fire is due to the extreme hot weather conditions that dried the grass and bushes. Our backyard garden is being irrigated morning and afternoon because the plants, particularly the vegetables, cannot survive the heat. Our cassava crop in the extended garden had died and my husband had cleaned it today, nothing left, not one cassava plant survived.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I haven't removed my lawn and bought drought resistant plants because it will cost me extra money to do so. I just kept my lawn up with the grey water that was going down my drain anyway. Now it is watering my lawn and I don't have to change my whole landscape.

Ask a Question