Drought

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have had an unusually dry summer this year to the point where I have actually seen at least 3 small brush fires erupt, not a good year for the garden here. Last weekend I took my kids to the lake and we had to call the fire department because I actually saw a tree root fire. It was the strangest thing because it was an underground fire and I have never seen one before. Are any of you experiencing a drought?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh how I wish Rosyrain! We've had a dreadful spring and summer here in Britain, wet, chilly and windy. I think we might see an early autumn/fall this year. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We've had a few uncommonly wet spring and summers; I don't think Michigan would ever get a drought, not in our lifetimes anyhow. We don't tan here, we rust. :)

It's awful what's happening in California and other places around the world that are suffering through such dry weather. And a tree root fire? Wow, never heard of such a thing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds scary!
I've never experienced a drought. My city is known for its big river, bridges and humidity. Right now, it's raining heavily here;)

Reaction score
As I live in a drought prone area where at the most we only get approx 400 mm of rain per year - drought is something that I'm used too - as we have to face it most years.

However this year even more so - as apart from the fact that we had very little rain over the winter and had way less than half the average rainfall - our high summer temperatures started much earlier this year - in fact we've been hovering around the 48 C mark and even sometimes reaching the 50 C mark since the end of May - which as it doesn't go much below 30 C at night - isn't good for anything or anyone.

Fortunately - although water restrictions are in place almost everywhere along with regular water cuts - I do still have water - unlike many of the villages near me - who have now been without water for well over a month.

Unfortunately the ground is so red hot and cinder dry - hardly anything is growing - all the plants are either resting to conserve their energy or dying - plus although not unusual here - many villages have had to be evacuated - as great swathes of countryside and homes are once again been wiped out by the many forest fires that keep breaking out - which isn't helped by the fact that as we also get strong winds - it can make them rage for days and days on end before they can be brought under control.

So yes - even though I've tried doing a few rain dances - I'm still very definitely experiencing drought and very probably likely to be for quite some considerable time yet.

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Well, a average rain year for us is 11 inches of rain. So it is normally dry here in a good year. The last few years have been much dryer then that so yes I know about drought.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We went through a historic drought in 2011, with predictions that it would take years to recover. Twelve months later the stock ponds were full, rivers were running at bank level, and the lakes were filling.
Texas has ups and downs with rainfall, with this spring being the "uppest" on record--wet, wet, wet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Last summer was also unusual because we needed to irrigate the garden twice a day - in the morning and also in the afternoon - otherwise some of the plants develope wilted leaves. And when they turn yellowish, the plants die. Now, the rains had come and drought is no more but the flooding takes its place. It's really a climate change manifestation that ruins the season and the garden. Maybe we have to stop planting crops for the moment.

Reaction score
We have had an unusually dry summer this year to the point where I have actually seen at least 3 small brush fires erupt, not a good year for the garden here. Last weekend I took my kids to the lake and we had to call the fire department because I actually saw a tree root fire. It was the strangest thing because it was an underground fire and I have never seen one before. Are any of you experiencing a drought?

Underground fire? That sounds really scary and odd. I have never seen a wild fire start on its own, I always thought there was always someone behind those fires, lol. Now I feel kinda silly for thinking that, it's just I couldn't even imagine how a tree could start burning just like that. And yes, over here we have a drought issue as well, no wild fires nearby yet thankfully).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I've not heard of an underground fire. How very strange and frightening. I live in a fire prone area so have to be prepared to evacuate. Now I'll be worried about what's going on underground as well. :confused:
Another reason why I should have taught my cats to be more comfortable in their cages as in crate up directions Esther. We do have to have the cages handy over summer when we are likely to have to evacuate. Years ago when I had Lola, my first very beautiful British Blue, hid under the house up where we couldn't get to her. We waited until she came out before we "evacuated". Luckily we weren't in immediate danger. We stayed on Ash Wednesday1983. I had called in the afternoon because of smoke but was told the fire was heading in the other direction but the wind changed and it was too late to leave. The fire raged thorough a township 10 minutes away! :mad: And 4 years ago we had Black Saturday. I don't know why we didn't leave. It didn't come close but we certainly had heavy smoke and shocking wind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How I wish we could send you some rain as we have a wet spring and summer. Those plants that needed lot of water did very well and grow very tall, but those that enjoy the sun, they grow short this year for us!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I read online about underground fires and they are most often caused by lightening strikes, discarded cigarettes, and fire pit coals. An underground fire is the worst because it can burn undetected for months and just pop up out of the ground at anytime and start a land fire.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We had a wet and very cool spring, then the warm weather shows up and little rain. My rain barrels were getting low that I ended up dragging out the hose to water my garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The summer drought continues. We had one day of serious rain last week that brought with it thunderstorms and even some hail. We are back to the dry weather and are supposed to be in the 90s all week. We are going to spend every possible minute we can cooling down at the lake.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
January and February are the worst months. Last year I was not prepared, I planted vegetables late which made them to dry up. This year I managed to prepare my garden early, I planted most types of vegetables and herbs.

Ask a Question