Dreaming of a Vegetable Garden

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
We used to have a small garden on the vacant lot in front of our house which we planted with sweet potatoes, moringa, bitter gourd, jute, papaya, tomatoes, and other vegetables. But when my sister got married, my parents gave the lot to her to build their house next to ours. Now in our small backyard, we only have papaya, moringa, chili, and oregano for our plants. I wish we could have a bigger lot so that we can plant all our favorite vegetables. I wish we could produce what we eat.

Reaction score
Have you ever seen pictures of vertical gardening? I don't know what your sun situation is, but if you have a sunny side of the house, you might be able to use some of those techniques to grow your smaller plants like herbs in little containers vertically, thus saving ground space for a bigger vegetable plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I know how you feel, Asereht1970, I don't have a garden anymore, either. I moved to an apartment.
Have you thought about growing fruits and vegetables indoors? In my opinion it's worth a try.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to be able to produce vegetables for my family to eat. I think that would be so cost effective. My daughters would also love the idea that they helped produce great food for the house. I have a nice space on the side of my home and I am ready to get started.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
One of my most important motivations for growing as much of our food as possible is my wife's poor health.
She has end-stage-renal-failure and needs overnight kidney dialysis at home every night.
The lack of kidney function means that she clears toxins far less efficiently than healthy people, and, imv, every time I put down a plateful of food where the potatoes and/or vegetables were grown without chemicals, is a little bit of help in keeping her as healthy as possible whilst we await transplant.
Having said that, we have both noticed the huge difference in quality of home-grown food, and I have no intention of giving up growing our own when, hopefully, she is better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Vertical or pot gardens are the best way to go if you live in a small space or apartment. All you need is a little deck outside of your home and you can grow enough veggies to supplement what you get at the store. It is worth a try and you could save some money by not having to buy your veggies.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Have you ever seen pictures of vertical gardening? I don't know what your sun situation is, but if you have a sunny side of the house, you might be able to use some of those techniques to grow your smaller plants like herbs in little containers vertically, thus saving ground space for a bigger vegetable plant.

Yes, I have seen a page about growing vertical gardens. I may try it one day and I hope I can do it. I am not into herbs but I really love planting vegetables especially the green and leafy ones.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I know how you feel, Asereht1970, I don't have a garden anymore, either. I moved to an apartment.
Have you thought about growing fruits and vegetables indoors? In my opinion it's worth a try.

I am not sure about growing vegetables indoors as I am afraid they will only attract flies and mosquitoes. But I will try to read more about this type of gardening. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I am not sure about growing vegetables indoors as I am afraid they will only attract flies and mosquitoes. But I will try to read more about this type of gardening. Thanks for the suggestion.
I don't know about flies, but mosquitoes aren't attracted to vegetables. There are lots of them in my area and they don't seem interested in anything I grow. All they want is blood:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mosquitos love suckling our blood and making us itch, so I don't think you should be concerned about your veggies attracting them. I am not even sure that you would have to worry about flies either unless your veggies were rotting. Flies like things that are rotting because they can lay their eggs.

Ask a Question