Do you talk to the plants while you garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I don't talk to my indoor plants but I sometimes wonder whether they're enjoying the music I play. It's a silly thought, but I think my plants like classical music. ;)

There have been studies that suggest that the right music is beneficial to plants' growth. I've got a book about topics of that type which I read a few years ago. I really need to reread it because I've forgotten most of what I read.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I don't talk to my indoor plants but I sometimes wonder whether they're enjoying the music I play. It's a silly thought, but I think my plants like classical music. ;)

It's not crazy, it is the vibration the music make. The plants love it. Mozart and Beethoven seem to be the two that most suggest. Country Music seems to be effective also. Of course in my house we play a variety of music all the time (industrial, rap, classical, big band, rock, metal, hip hop, pop.... we listen to just about anything except gangsta rap) so our plants never get bored. LOL

I have found Gangsta Rap to be an effective herbicide

ROTFLMAO, unfortunately we would never be able to test that idea.... Gangsta Rap is an effective way to get rid of us too.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No I am usually singing in the garden or talking to the chickens (scolding a few) or to the turkeys as they talk back lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My mom said she talks to her plants when she waters them etc. She said it always works because when she does, the plants grow and bloom beautifully. I always believe all living things have spirits, that all are connected with the same source from the tiniest living being to the biggest. I am sure plants and trees have feelings too, I may not prove it but I can feel it and it doesn't mean it's not true if I can't prove it.
I do more than talk to my plants! I sing to them! My grandmother taught me this when I was little and I used to think it was garden magic. There is a very scientific reason why it works. I can tell you if you want, or we can keep believing in the magic.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I haven't read any scientific studies regarding the benefits of music to plants, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are scientific reasons! I've never heard of vibrations helping plants grow before, that is an incredibly cool concept. Maybe I'll have to start diversifying my music for the plants' benefit. :)

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I never do it, but some friend says to me that this is a good thing to do for making some plants grow stronger, there are some components in the human breathing that are great for some plants.
Also, they are living beings, so I don't discard about singing them could help somehow to, if you are happy, maybe your plants are too!

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I sometimes talk to my plants, especially when I see them wilting. I coaxed them to come back into life. Sometimes I sing to them, too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, we benefits plants in the same way that they benefit us. If we are sitting there singing to our plants, we are providing fresh fuel for photosynthesis and growth to occur.

Reaction score
No I don't talk to any plants now and if someone saw me doing that they would probably think that I have lost it. I would do it though and not care about what anyone else thinks because you have to do what makes you happy. If some other person says anything negative about me talking to a plant I would just ignore which is the best thing to do.

Ask a Question