Competitive gardening

Reaction score
That's something to be extra proud of Zigs. Judging from your pictures, Yours all look very appetising and normal sized. Do you ever make entries into the 'biggest' section? Surely those monstrous vegetables that you sometimes see can't be grown organically?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ta Ruby :)

There wasn't a biggest section in the show and the judges didn't know what to make of my Beetroot :rolleyes:

Not sure about the monster veg (There's a show for that at Shepton Mallet) But you can make most of the things plants need without resorting to chemicals.

Just making a liquid feed at the moment, all my weeds are going in a dustbin full of water for a few weeks :)

Reaction score
Wow Zigs, that is some beetroot! I must apologise for my wrong assumption about the use of chemical fertilisers to grow giant veg. I'm here to be educated :)

Do you enter every year?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It filled a gallon jar when I pickled it :D He was started off in a hotbed in January.

Oh, i'm not saying some folk don't use chemicals, just that with some good feed and seaweed for trace elements it's not really necessary. Why pay for chemical feeds when you can make your own from Nettles, Comfrey and weeds :)

Didn't enter last year but I might well this year, got some Kelsae onions that I sowed on Boxing day, biggest one is 4 and a quarter inches in diameter so far. Those I can't feed as it might make them bolt.

Reaction score
I've only entered a competition once, and I have to admit I had a lot of help from my dear departed Dad, I somehow managed to get a first for my potatoes.
I have to say my Dad had a lot patience over them than me, measuring the entries to make sure they were all the same size, with the toms I entered making sure they were all at the same stage of ripeness, even down to making sure the raffia around the tops of the onions was the same colour, I could never pay attention to that much detail, bu then he got five firsts in the same show so it must work.

Our Allotment association has a tidiest plot competition, which I think is a tad unfair, it's always one of the retired folk who win, and you can see them out a couple of weeks before judging day sprucing up their plots, weeding like mad, we mortals who still have to work for a living don't stand a chance !

Reaction score
It filled a gallon jar when I pickled it :D He was started off in a hotbed in January.

Oh, i'm not saying some folk don't use chemicals, just that with some good feed and seaweed for trace elements it's not really necessary. Why pay for chemical feeds when you can make your own from Nettles, Comfrey and weeds :)

Didn't enter last year but I might well this year, got some Kelsae onions that I sowed on Boxing day, biggest one is 4 and a quarter inches in diameter so far. Those I can't feed as it might make them bolt.

Good luck if you decide to enter. Don't forget to post some pics!

I've only entered a competition once, and I have to admit I had a lot of help from my dear departed Dad, I somehow managed to get a first for my potatoes.
I have to say my Dad had a lot patience over them than me, measuring the entries to make sure they were all the same size, with the toms I entered making sure they were all at the same stage of ripeness, even down to making sure the raffia around the tops of the onions was the same colour, I could never pay attention to that much detail, bu then he got five firsts in the same show so it must work.

Our Allotment association has a tidiest plot competition, which I think is a tad unfair, it's always one of the retired folk who win, and you can see them out a couple of weeks before judging day sprucing up their plots, weeding like mad, we mortals who still have to work for a living don't stand a chance !

I probably wouldn't have even thought about all those details if I was entering, which is why I wouldn't win! I guess having a bit of experience helps - you need to know what the judges are looking for and how they like them to be presented.

Your allotment association seem to have devised a very clever way of making sure everyone keeps the place neat and tidy!

Reaction score
I entered the Melplash show a few years back, first time i'd shown veg. Took a lot of preparation, everything has to be set out like they say or it gets disqualified.

Got 2 third prizes, a first for my Rhubarb and 3 place for "Top Tray" Which is a combination of specified veg :)

Those look gorgeous and perfect, Zigs. You should have won. The tomatoes are picture perfect and the onions look delicious.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Those look gorgeous and perfect, Zigs. You should have won. The tomatoes are picture perfect and the onions look delicious.

Me carrots let me down :( See the ones on the next tray :eek: :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't even like Carrots that much :D

I agree, I'd rather just show the best of what i've got, don't really stand a chance against a dedicated showman with a polytunnel :(

Just been looking around the plot, won't have a lot to show this year due to the late start.

Reaction score
Don't even like Carrots that much :D

I agree, I'd rather just show the best of what i've got, don't really stand a chance against a dedicated showman with a polytunnel :(

Just been looking around the plot, won't have a lot to show this year due to the late start.

I think that growing food for show is a bit ... wrong, I grow it to eat, and don't give a stuff what it looks like, taste should be more important than looks when it comes down to veg.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I grow to eat too Jack, but nothing wrong with having a bit of fun on the way :) Still eat it after :)

Drew up me list today, not much but i'll give it a go :)

Reaction score
I grow to eat too Jack, but nothing wrong with having a bit of fun on the way :) Still eat it after :)

Drew up me list today, not much but i'll give it a go :)

Yeah I agree, but this growing carrots in pipes to get perfect specimens and the length of the root, when you go to measures like that it's just so wrong IMO.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
A better hobby than collecting stamps though, keeps some folk happy :)

Couldn't be bothered to go to that sort of trouble, I agree :)

Ask a Question