Competitive gardening

Reaction score
I always remember how proud I was as a child, when my Grandmother won first place in the 'best garden' competition in her village! I also remember how pleased my children were many years ago, when they won the tallest sunflower competition at school.

Have you ever entered into any gardening competitions for fun?

Reaction score
I love that "tallest sunflower competition". That would be something really exciting and fascinating for kids to get up every morning and see how much their sunflowers have grown.
I have never grown anything for a competition, but to tell you the truth, I am always taken in by those giant vegetable competitions. It intrigues me how one can grow such monsters that need to be wheeled to the competition in a wheel barrow. Biggest pumpkin, giant onions, monster cucumbers... how weird and wonderful! :)

Reaction score
All of the children in school that year were given a sunflower seedling. It was funny to watch all the children in the neighbourhood become so competitive about it!

Yes those huge vegetables are curiously fascinating to me too. Massive narrows spring to mind. They just look so odd! I wonder what method of fertilisation they use?!

Reaction score
To be honest I'm not so sure that its just children that enjoy gardening competitions - as I've noticed that there always appears to be some form of competitive spirit when it comes to gardening - but have to say - that it seems to be something that is particularly strong when associated with vegetable patches or at least it is where I live - and although I too would to a degree probably fall into the category of being a competitive gardener - as I really enjoy the challenge of growing something slightly different or unusual, and am always aiming to grow the tastiest and most flavorsome fruit and vegetables - I don't do it loudly or for showing any of the fruit or vegetables that I grow.

I have however noticed that there is always strong competition between the male vegetable growers in my area - particularly for size and quantity - especially as they are all very loud about it and are always very keen to show off their giant sized prize vegetables - which I have to say are often pretty impressive - but if you've ever been on the receiving end of one of these impressively sized prize winning vegetables - you will know that they are very definitely not grown for their flavor - as on the few occasions that I have been given some prize winning vegetables - they either tasted indescribably horrible or I couldn't get to taste them at all - like for example the giant prize winning Zucchini I was once given - which although they looked fantastic I was never able to taste - as the skins were so hard that even a chainsaw would have struggled to cut them :D

Reaction score
No I have never done it. I love gardening and it is relaxing and spiritual pursuit for me. I think its great that other people like to compete, its just not for me.

Reaction score
Never, but once things better and if I move, then I might consider doing that... at least if I'm good enough! I first need get into gardening again, learn more and get my hands dirty once again!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Did once years ago, an organic ornamental/veggie garden contest. Got third place. Would never do it again though. Too much work building the plant list, drawing the garden and plant placement, getting the paperwork in, etc. I do enjoy sharing our yard with friends and often participate in the laid back neighborhood garden walk. Those are stressful enough and I always see lots of weeds, etc.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I entered the Melplash show a few years back, first time i'd shown veg. Took a lot of preparation, everything has to be set out like they say or it gets disqualified.

Got 2 third prizes, a first for my Rhubarb and 3 place for "Top Tray" Which is a combination of specified veg :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Congratulations, Zigs, your vegetables looked really great. You should have gotten the first prize:)
Personally, I've never entered into any gardening competitions. It's something not for me. I'm not a competitive person at all;) The only reason why I grow vegetables is because I love eating them:D

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Congratulations Zigs, your plants look great. I have never joined a competition for my gardening. I see shows on tv about this type of activity but it is not for me.

Reaction score
@ Gata - I think men tend to be naturally more competitive at most things. It's not surprising that there was tough competition for the biggest! That's interesting that the bigger the vegetable, the less tasty it becomes. I hadn't realised they are only good for aesthetic purposes.

@ Zigs - Congratulations! Lovely pics. I bet you were pleased to be awarded after putting all the effort in.

It seems from everyone's comments that people either thrive on competition, or find it stressful. There does seem to be a lot of rules and regulations with the competitions. I can see why people are proud of their efforts and like to display them though.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ta everyone :) I was well chuffed :)

Probably can't enter this year as its on a Thursday & i'll be at work :(

Reaction score
All of the children in school that year were given a sunflower seedling. It was funny to watch all the children in the neighbourhood become so competitive about it!

Yes those huge vegetables are curiously fascinating to me too. Massive narrows spring to mind. They just look so odd! I wonder what method of fertilisation they use?!
I think all those giant vegetable growers keep it a secret what kind of fertiliser they are using and what procedures are involved to create such monsters.
I know that they wouldn't be edible. Or perhaps they are, but they probably taste very bland. And I would definitely be concerned about all the "extras" that I am ingesting.

Reaction score
I entered the Melplash show a few years back, first time i'd shown veg. Took a lot of preparation, everything has to be set out like they say or it gets disqualified.

Got 2 third prizes, a first for my Rhubarb and 3 place for "Top Tray" Which is a combination of specified veg :)

Reaction score
@ Dora - That's a good point. I don't suppose there are any giant vegetables that are grown organically.

Ask a Question